Najat Rochdi, Deputy Special Representative for MINUSCA and Resident Coordinator, Humanitarian Coordinator and Resident Representative of the UNDP. Photo by MINUSCA.
The call for nomination is now closed.
The Secretary-General is pleased to announce the following: Generic positions of Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General (DSRSG) Political and/or for the Rule of Law in United Nations field missions.
These residential positions are mostly based in non-family duty stations and are usually graded at the level of Under-Secretary-General (USG) or Assistant Secretary-General (ASG). SRSGs are appointed by the Secretary-General and report to him through the USG of the Lead Department. They are expected to:
- Develop a shared vision for fulfilling the Security Council mission mandate and set the strategic direction to achieve the goals and objectives relevant to that vision;
- Represent the Secretary-General and provide good offices on his behalf to resolve conflict, facilitate negotiations, foster peace and build confidence among parties;
- Serve as Head of Mission and be responsible for the executive management of the mission’s resources and administration; as well as for building a mission culture of accountability, integrity and respect;
- Establish and nurture close working relationships with key national, regional and international interlocutors, including regional organizations as relevant;
- Speak on behalf of the United Nations and provide overall leadership to the comprehensive United Nations engagement in the host country, ensuring that its actions are guided at all times by international human rights standards;
- Promote and monitor the implementation of Security Council resolutions on Women Peace and Security and ensure the mainstreaming of gender throughout operational activities;
- As Designated Official (DO), ensure the safety and security of staff of the United Nations in the mission area.
Reporting directly to the SRSG, the Deputy Special Representatives of the Secretary- General (DSRSG) are responsible for providing overall vision and leadership to the strategic planning and the implementation of programmes under the political and/or rule of law pillar(s) in missions.
In soliciting applications for the generic D/SRSG pool and in recognition of the highly complex nature of these posts, click here to learn about the requirements.
In order to ensure a wide pool of candidates for these generic positions, the Secretariat would welcome any applications to supplement the Secretary-General’s own search and consultations. Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
By the end of my mandate, we should reach full gender parity at the Under-Secretary-General and Assistant Secretary-General levels, including special representatives and special envoys.
Meet some of the current Special Representatives and Deputy Special Representatives of the Secretary-General (SRSG/DSRSG)
Read our dedicated articles
This campaign and the related articles were developed in partnership with the United Nations and serve to increase the dissemination and visibility of the Global Call for nominations.
There is no cost associated with submitting nominations and neither the United Nations nor Impactpool charge a fee at any stage of the process.