Technical Lead (Conference Services)
Post Number : 1ITSC 0978TP
Grade : G-6
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term Field
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 20-NOV-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this positionOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the overall authority of the Director of ICTP and the direct supervision of the Senior Coordinator (Programmes and Advancement) or his/her designee, the incumbent with assist with the preparation and implementation of annual programme of activities at ICTP, including hosted activities. He/she will coordinate the work of the team of Programme Assistants who support the implemenation of activities (workshops, conferences, schools) at ICTP.
Essential responsibilities include:
Activities planning and implementation:
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of the annual programme of activities at ICTP.
- Prepare the call for proposals, monitor the submission of proposals and manage their distribution for evaluation.
- Compile the final list of annual activities for approval by the ICTP Director.
- Support the implementation of the annual programme and monitor progress.
- Periodically review the operating procedures and internal event management procedural guidelines to ensure they meet the evolving needs.
- Work with Information and Communication Technology Unit on the improvement of the visitor/event management software.
- Liaise with other parts of the organisation to make necessary logistical arrangements for the preparation and implementation of the annual programme.
- Assist with the implementation of hosted activities at ICTP
- Act as focal point for receiving outside proposals for hosted activities and provide logistical and administrative support to organizers of these activities in cooperation with the Director's Office.
- Lead a team of Programme Assistants who support the implementation of activities (workshops, conferences, schools) at ICTP.
- Plan and distribute work, monitor workload and supervise the implementation of activities.
- Guide and train colleagues as required and assist with resolution of non-standard queries.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- Minimum (8) years of relevant working experience in programme, conference management and in administrative or related functions.
- Experience dealing with technical and administrative issues.
- Experience in supervisory roles.
- Knowledge of standard office computer applications (MS Office, SAP, etc.).
- Ability to analyse complex issues, show initiative and propose appropriate solutions.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and coordination skills.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with different partners/institutions and other stakeholders at all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written), including excellent drafting skills in English.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Experience in an international environment or in a scientific organization.
- Knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 47 605 euros €.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: