UN Women - Outcome Coordinator, Gender Equality Facility
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action globally. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Progress of North Macedonia in recent years respecting and promoting Gender Equality is highlighted in a series of international commitments and in national legal and policy frameworks. The main achievements in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment reside in the Country’s institutional capacity development for the work on gender equality. Indeed, the legal provisions guaranteeing women’s rights and gender equality are largely in place – the Law of Equal Opportunities of Women and Men, the National Action Plan for Gender Equality, the Election Law amendment instituting quotas, the Action Plan for the implementation of UNSCR 1325 (2020-2025), and the ratification of the Istanbul Convention are normative achievements that influence the institutional practice in promoting gender equality in North Macedonia. However, the Country still copes with deep-rooted, patriarchal stereotypes regarding the role and responsibilities of women and men in the family and in society at large. Women in North Macedonia face a precarious reality – they remain underrepresented in central and local government, have disproportionately limited access to employment, and many are subjected to violence. Gaps in policy development and slow implementation of the adopted legislation constitute important structural obstacles to achieving gender equality. Improvements are needed in both strengthening institutional capacities and enhancing cooperation between the gender mechanisms, the key ministries and civil society organizations in order to increase gender mainstreaming in all aspect of government work - primarily policy development and budgeting - as the means for achieving gender equality.
The overall goal of the Gender Responsive Governance/GRG programme is to ensure that women and girls in North Macedonia benefit from accountable, transparent and gender responsive governance. It builds on UN Women’s past work and results achieved in promoting gender responsive policy making and budgeting and transposing the EU Gender Equality Acquis into national strategies, policies and actions, and is grounded on the longstanding partnership established with the Government of North Macedonia to advance gender equality.
The GRG Programme envisages a complex set of interventions under two Outcomes, that aim to respond to the growing demand created for expertise, knowledge and tools for mainstreaming gender in the strategic planning processes and public finance management, and the implementation of the EU Gender Equality acquis, geared towards ensuring Government’s ownership and sustainability of results.
UN Women is seeking to hire Outcome Coordinator, who under the direct supervision of the UN Women Programme Specialist/Head of Office is responsible for managing and coordinating the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the activities under the Outcome 2, and related budget management, building partnerships and synergies. The Outcome Coordinator in consultation and coordination with the Head of Office works in close collaboration with the Secretariat for European Affairs (SEA), the Equal Opportunities Department at the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy (MLSP), other relevant institutions, civil society and donors.
The Outcome Coordinator works closely with the GRB Programme Analyst, who is responsible for the Outcome One of the GRG Programme, coordinates on corporate obligations and contributes to building synergies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Design and implementation of Outcome interventions on Gender Equality Facility
- Develop Outcome Two work plan and other related documents, under overall guidance by the Head of Office and in close consultation with relevant stakeholders and partners, and coordinate the day-to-day implementation of activities.
- Manage, update and monitor the annual work plan for Outcome Two, to ensure timely implementation of activities, and delivery in compliance with the Programme results and progress over indicators
- Facilitate recruitment, oversee, and monitor work/results and technically resource implementation of consultancy contracts under Outcome Two
- Develop timely Letters of Agreement, Outcome Two plans, budgets, Terms of Reference for national and international consultants, experts/ institutions and CSOs, and supervise and evaluate their performance in delivering required outputs, in coordination with the Head of Office
- Coordinate the work of the consultants for the sectorial working groups and provide inputs as required, in coordination with the Head of Office
- Ensure proper management and delivery of the budget allocated for the Outcome Two
- Participate in relevant meetings and ensure timely preparation of quality minutes and reports
- Prepare all documentation for selection of consultants and manage the contracts
- Undertake close supervision and quality assurance of any studies, analyses and consultancies that are undertaken/commissioned by the Outcome Two and troubleshoot as needed
- Engage in quality control of all visibility and communication materials prepared under the Outcome Two , in line with UN Women guidelines and donor regulations, and in coordination with the Head of Office and Communication Officer/Specialist
- Organize and coordinate evaluation requirements of the Outcome Two
- Assess Outcome Two performance to identify success factors and incorporate best practices into daily work
- Research linkages across Outcome Two activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitor specific stages of Outcome Two activities implementation
- Analyze country situation to identify opportunities for programme development
- Participate in the formulation of project proposals and ensure substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Gender Equality Facility / European Integrations Technical Support
- Provide technical/expert support and guidance to UN Women, main project stakeholders, implementing partners as well as consultants and collaborators, towards the achievement of intended results
- Foster strategic partnerships with key stakeholders in the field of gender equality and European integrations / public administration reform / governance
- Coordinate the work of the experts for sectorial working groups under guidance of and in coordination with the Head of Office
- Identify and link to related ongoing activities with Output One/GRB of the Gender Responsive Governance Programme and contribute to building collaboration and synergies, with a focus on joint key stakeholders and partners in governmental institutions
- Regular monitoring to ensure timely delivery and quality of results under the Outcome Two
- Flag in a timely way issues of strategic concern and seek advice from the supervisor in finding appropriate solutions
- Prepare deliverables and provide technical support and inputs as needed
- All other technical tasks as agreed with the supervisor according to this ToR
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the Outcome under the GRG Programme
- Ensure Outcome Two documentations/communication is properly done and maintained, tracking system is in place for effective project closure
- Develop and update quarterly work plans and expenditure plans for the Outcome Two based on the agreed (bi)annual work-plan
- Prepare requested quarterly and annual progress reports in line with corporate and donor requirements for the clearance by supervisor
- Contribute to annual reporting of the Office
- Prepare donor report related to Outcome Two and provide inputs and clarifications related to the preparation of related financial reports to donors
- Responsible for timely monitoring of Outcome Two implementation and delivery
- Contribute to UN Women planning and reporting corporate requirements as requested by the supervisor
- Manage Programme files for Outcome Two and support information collection and dissemination; ensure Outcome Two documentation (filling) and communication is properly done, tracking system is in place for effective Outcome/Programme closure
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Establish effective stakeholders’ relationships
- Ensure proper identification and mapping of relevant partners and donors, and follow up with all relevant counterparts
- Organize coordination meetings for the Outcome Two (participates and contributes) to ensure harmonization and sustainability of achieved results
- Maintain and establish network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyze and select materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Develop and implement partnerships strategies to contribute to the overall goal and results of the programme;
- Under guidance by the Head of Office liaise with the governmental counterpart/s in charge of monitoring gender mainstreaming aligned with EU Gender Acquis at national level as relevant;
- In coordination with the Head of Office fosters close collaboration with the National Gender Mechanism
- When relevant engages and contributes to regional cooperation and exchanges with other similar programmes/[projects of UN Women as well as with other EUDs and National Gender Equality Mechanisms;
- Represent the Outcome Two in national and international fora when relevant
- Any other tasks and responsibilities as assigned in relation to this ToR
Ensure facilitation of capacity building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders
- Identify, map and communicate relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN Women’s mandate under Outcome Two
- Document and analyze innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Enhance processes or products and generate new ideas and propose new, more effective ways of doing things
- Research potential solutions to stakeholders’ needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Anticipate stakeholder needs and addresses them promptly in coordination with the Head of Office
Impact of Results
The intervention will address challenges in implementation of the national and EU legislative and policy framework for gender equality through support to the institutions mandated for gender equality, and through coordination and monitoring of gender equality procedures and measures among them.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Ability to work effectively in diverse and multidisciplinary teams
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Good analytical and research skills
- Solid understanding of gender mainstreaming and empowerment of women (across sectors and levels of governance);
- Ability to gather and interpret data and present findings
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management and results reporting;
- Solid knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and their consistent application in work tasks
- Solid knowledge of EU integrative processes and/or Instrument for Pre-Accession (IPA)
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Good organizational skills and ability to prioritize work schedule to meet corporate and stakeholder’s needs and deadlines
- Ability to apply fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to advocate and provide policy and technical advice;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written);
- Ability to handle conflict and sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner;
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Gender/Women’s Studies, Development Studies, European Studies, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, Social Sciences, or closely related fields.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an asset
- Minimum five years of relevant professional experience in programme/project management, and engagement on gender equality/gender policy issues is required.
- Previous experience in working with international organizations on this topic is considered an asset;
- Practical experience in providing technical assistance and capacity building on gender mainstreaming at the central and local level
- Experience in working in governance related areas with the UN system EU-funded programmes and projects and other similar international organizations would be an asset.
- Experience with the EU Gender Equality acquis, and familiarity with stakeholders and national institutions working in the field of EU integration and gender mainstreaming.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the legal and policy framework on gender equality and the relevant international instruments and mechanisms, and thorough conceptual understanding of gender inequalities and the status of women in the Country is desirable;
- Proven understanding of and hands-on experience in processes of European Integration and/or IPA processes in the Country is required;
- Evidence of solid knowledge of and familiarity with stakeholders in the country, in particular national institutions working in the field of gender mainstreaming, EU integration, and development is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in programme/project design, coordination and management with UN agencies or similar international organizations is an advantage;
- Experience in IT Microsoft skills
- Fluency in English and Macedonian language is required.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via the Jobs website: http://www.al.undp.org/content/albania/en/home/operations/jobs.html Applications should contain:
- Cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the online application.
- Completed and signed UN Women Personal History Form – please download the form by opening the link UNW Personal History Form
Please make sure you have provided all requested documents.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the following steps:
- Download and complete the UN Personal History Form (P11);
- Merge your UN Personal History Form (P11) and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system
As this position is under Service Contract modality, only citizens of North Macedonia will be considered for the vacancy.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: