Addressing Solutions Manager
Vacancy Announcement No: UPU/23/MGM11/FT-NC/431
Title: Addressing Solutions Manager
Grade: Manager (level 11)
Type of contract: Fixed-term (Non-Core) Appointment
Duration: Three years
6 November 2023
Original published date: 6 November 2023
Application Deadline: 17 December 2023
(7 day(s) until closing deadline)
Republished (Currently accepting applications)
Organizational Unit: Postal Operations Directorate (DOP )
Duty Station: Bern Switzerland
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: As soon as possible
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and
Under the supervision of the Director, E-commerce, Physical Services Integration and POC Matters, the job holder leads the Unit which is self-financed through revenues generating business activities (6 other staff members) in terms of:
a. Formulation of guidelines and strategies for the Unit
b. Supervision of the Unit's on-going activities:
- Management and development of its business (maintenance, commercial prospection and acquisition of new partners and customers and related turn-over to cover Unit's self-financing),
- Guidance, development, production, publication and sales of the Unit's products and services
- Management of the Unit's resources (budget, team)
c. Support and expertise to other IB's directorates/UPU's organs or other stakeholders on Addressing Solutions issues (on request)
1. Responsibilities and strategies for the Unit
- Develop strategy and proposals to rationalize, increase attractiveness and keep up to date the activities of the Unit
- Identify and analyse addressing trends, evaluate their implications on the unit's activities, assess their usability for the development of the unit's products and services
- Identify and analyse markets in terms of potential for business development
- Formulate, develop and implement yearly marketing & promotion plan
- Design new or customized contracts, agreements, partnerships in cooperation with the IB legal department, design pricing policy & licensing models and templates
2. Management of the Unit's on-going business
2.1. Unit and business management and development:
- Provide pragmatic/substantive expertise and make decisions on issues relating to the activities of the ASO Unit
- Ensure Unit activities are carried out in line with the Organization strategy, identify required resources and ensure timely delivery of outputs
- Develop and implement procedures/tools to improve workflow, efficiency and productivity
- Direct, supervise and manage the business/partnership and the commercial relationships with all external stakeholders (customers, member countries (data providers) and others) : preparation of, advice on, negotiation for, submission, renewal of standard and customized agreements and contracts,
- Sustain long-term business relations through regular and pro-active contacts toward partners (customers, member countries (data providers) and others),
- Plan, organize, roll-out and lead commercial prospection through pro-active communication/promotion actions, business presentations of the Unit's activities in professional forums, exhibitions, meetings to gain to make potential new customers and partners aware of the benefits of having access to or being involved in addressing solutions systems and products,
- Direct the communication/marketing and invoicing activities.
2.2. Unit products and services portfolio management (UPU's Universal Post*Codes Database, Postal Addressing System (PAS) and their derivatives) including addressing standards
- Ensure the Unit's portfolio is up dated, revenue generating and matches with partners' and customers' needs and addressing new trends, coordinate design, give guidance on technical feasibility and release of new products and service,
- Coordinate technical cooperation with other International Bureau's (IB) IT/IS teams when necessary,
- Coordinate the work developed through delegated team and proposed by the Unit on international addressing standards.
2.3. Resources management (budgeting, team)
- Establish the budget financed through income from business activities (licenses, royalties) and from coordinated activities with other IB's directorate (invoicing to the IB), control, validate and ensure appropriate use, monitor incomes and expenditures,
- Lead the team of the Unit (set up clear organizational structure, prepare yearly work plans, allocate work assignment, assess performance, propose alignment of the staff to the priorities and workload of the Unit where needed).
3. Expertise to IB's directorates, UPU's organs or other stakeholders on Addressing Solutions issues
On request and when necessary,
- Provide secretariat support, participate in and give advice to workshops, working groups, projects or activities of other IB's directorates or member countries when addressing issues are involved
- Represent the Organization and coordinate liaison with representatives of designated operator, members countries or other specialized organizations in areas of addressing solutions to identify required resources, ensure maximum efficiency, develop new standards
|QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED|
University degree in business, management or engineering (to wait for grade recommendations)
10 years of experience in Addressing and business development, marketing, sales for B to B (business to business) IT/IS products or services or similar (in the postal sector would be an asset)
1. Strong knowledge of B to B marketing techniques
2. Strong knowledge of B to B sales and business development techniques
3. Strong knowledge of methods and standards applied to postcodes, addressing systems
4. Good knowledge of B to B communications tools and techniques
5. Proven project management skills
6. Knowledge of business unit management
Skills and abilities / competencies:
1. Leadership and business oriented
2. Interest in postal B to B activities
3. Business negotiation skills
4. Communications skills
5. Ability to manage and develop products, services, customers portfolio
Proficiency in English or French is required.
This is a non-core post. This position will be in full compliance with the "Rules governing non-core staff".
The selected staff will participate in the UPU Provident Scheme and will be insured together with their recognized dependents against the risks of sickness and accidents.
This is a three years' contract which can be renewed if the services continue to be required in the future, the funds are available and/or the staff member's performance is satisfactory. However, this appointment does not automatically carry any expectancy of extension or renewal or of conversion to any other type of appointment.
French is the official language of the UPU. English and French are the working languages of the UPU International Bureau.
Priority shall be given for an internal promotion.
The UPU is committed to encouraging diversity within its workforce. Interested candidates from minority groups and/or with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated equally and in the strictest confidence.
Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year).
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from
being excluded from the selection process.
The UPU is committed to securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for its staff members. In this regard, candidates under serious consideration for selection may be subject to satisfactory background checks aimed at validating the educational and professional background records as indicated by candidates in their respective application forms.
(Net of tax)
|The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.|
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
|Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
|For further instructions regarding the online application process, please visit the UPU internet page at:|
|Republished (Currently accepting applications)|
|The UPU has a smoke-free environment|