Assistant, Branch Development and Volunteer Management
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegations and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
IFRC Moldova Country office has been established to support the Moldova Red Cross Society (MRCS) to foster local action, and stronger local ownership and contribute to sustainable local development in various areas including Branch and Volunteer Development via delegates, programme coordinators and assistants to facilitate coherence and overall alignment of support to MRCS programs.
The Programme Assistant, Branch Development and Volunteer Management is responsible for providing administrative support to team members throughout the planning and implementation of educational, charitable or professional programs communicating between program participants and managerial staff, creating and updating program schedules and assisting in the planning and managing program events to ensure that programs run smoothly for both staff and participants.
The Programme Assistant, Branch Development and Volunteer Management will help the NSD (National Society Development) Coordinator and Volunteer Management Coordinator to run initiatives at the branch level and among volunteers, working closely with other employees to develop program schedules, oversee budgeting expenses, connect with event venues and write instructional documents.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Programme assistance (70%):
- Support in preparing documentation towards projects, programmes, and grants (both proposals and budgets) as well as reports within the Branch Development area;
- Assist in managing the budget for special and routine events;
- Under the NSD Coordinator’s supervision, support MRCS to implement their Branch Development activities as per identified goals, objectives, and operating principles, and within established budgets, timeframes, and compliance requirements;
- Keep contact regularly with local branches to discuss and support them in organizational and technical matters;
- Under the NSD Coordinator’s supervision support MRCS branch initiatives in project development, resource mobilization and sustainability activities;
- Follow the request of the NSD Coordinator carry out one-on-one meetings on Branch Development with interested/involved sides to answer questions and learn more about how future programs and activities could be improved;
- Support MRCS to coordinate Branch Development-related information collection, analysis, and reporting;
- Support in managing financial resources, doing payments for vendors and suppliers.
Administrative assistance (30%):
- Answer phone calls and in case of the NSD Coordinator’s request follow emails, type letters and reports, support in proofreading, and from time to time make copies of documents and or update files as needed;
- Attend general staff meetings, Branch Development and Volunteers Management meetings and take minutes;
- Support to make reservations for various off-site business meetings;
- Support in organizing NSD Coordinator’s (and in case of necessity Volunteer Management Coordinator’s) working calendar and send out reminders of impending appointments
- Assist in the planning and overseeing significant events;
- Support in organizing various activities (trainings, workshop sessions, meetings, round-tables, forums, conferences) at the central level and in the places;
- Support to reserve equipment and conference rooms for presentations and in-office meetings.
- Relevant university degree, or equivalent qualification
- Basic Training Course (BTC/IMPACT/World of Red Cross, or equivalent)
- 1-3 years of work experience in the humanitarian or development sector
- 1-3 years of proven experience in managing teams, plans, programmes and budgets
- Experience in at least one key technical area of focus (health, migration, disaster management, and/or organizational development)
- 1-3 years of field experience with a humanitarian organization working in a developing country setting
- Experience with project planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting, ideally working directly with local organizations in complex environments
- Experience in emergency operations and/or organization capacity building
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Strong communication skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Accuracy and fine attention to detail
- Organised and self-starter in work prioritising
- Tact and diplomacy
- Excellent customer service
- Report writing skills
- Filing and archiving
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Romanian
- Good command of Russian
Competencies, Values and Comments
- Respect for diversity
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Judgement and decision-making
- National society and customer relations
- Creativity and innovation
- Building trust
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: