Country Support Service Manager - Mozambique (For Internal Hiring)
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environments for future generations.
Reporting to the Country Representative - Mozambique, this position is responsible for providing an effective and efficient corporate services platform to support the program and representational activities of the IRRI Mozambique Office. Manage the Corporate Services Staff team on administrative areas to ensure that all country office support services requirements are met. These staff members report to their respective global teams respectively. This position is required to coordinate with the different corporate services departments to ensure effective implementation of organizational policies and procedures.
This position will manage all local administration staff directly and ensure local support services like travel, visa services, cleaning, and similar local administrative jobs are undertaken.
This position will be based at the IRRI Mozambique Office, and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Mozambique.
Current IRRI staff are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide Administrative support and local supervision of corporate services including but not limited to: Finance and Accounting, Risk Management, Human Resource, Logistics, Administration, Protocol, Information Technology, Procurement, Material Management, and Safety & Security for the IRRI Mozambique Office.
- Assist the Country Representative and the Global Support Services teams to design, implement, and manage administrative systems for efficient functioning of the country office.
- Ensure financial operation services provided in the country are efficient, and effective administration, accounting, and reporting of the annual financial audit of the country office’s finances; and that payroll is effectively managed against the relevant agreement and policies.
- Support the Regional HROD and Global HR team through local support to ensure that all IRRI HR policies and practices are implemented as advised.
- Oversee the implementation, and regular update of an effective orientation program for national and international staff specific to the office location which builds upon the corporate model, and support the implementation of locally held training and other events in line with the annual training calendar.
- In the absence of a HCA (not hosted under another CGIAR center), assist in management of an efficient and effective ICT network that addresses the operational needs of the country office and, oversee and report on IT systems and network in coordination with IRRI HQ-ITS.
- Initiate, develop and implement new technologies to operate across IRRI locations in-country and implement ICT policies and procedures, in line with IRRI IT policies.
- Assist the Procurement staff for Procurement and Material Management services – transport team and fleet, property lease agreements, building and maintenance supplier contracts – and ensure leased or owned properties (buildings, property, equipment, and vehicle fleet) are maintained to good standard and oversee contractual arrangements for rented properties.
- In consultation with the Regional Finance officer and Director of Finance, oversee the development, management, and monitoring of the annual operational budgets and financial forecasts, including a mid-year update.
- Serve as liaison between IRRI Headquarters and Country Office Bank for all bank account documentary requirements
- Act as safety and security focal point implementing an approach which maintains a safe and secure working environment
- Liaise and coordinate with Regional and HQ Risk Management and Quality Assurance team in agreed risk management plan; and maintain and manage all necessary insurance policies.
- Support the creation and maintenance of positive human resource services including recruitment, workspace relations, organizational development, and Compensation, Benefits, and reporting in line with HR HQ.
- Represent the institute in negotiations with external agencies and suppliers; Implement systems and processes for logistics supply management, in line with IRRI procurement policies; Coordinate with IRRI HQ-Supply Chain Services.
- Ensure that grant proposals originating from the country office are adequately budgeted to achieve operational goals and full cost recovery; and that are compliant with applicable laws such as those covering equal employment opportunities, human resource obligations, and lease grants.
- Review and monitor the register of staff retirement funds reflecting the contributions to and earnings of staff accounts.
- Develop and maintain a central repository of all IRRI Mozambique office contracts, service agreements and memorandums of understanding, including a register of obligations entered into through contracts, especially funding agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management or any course equivalent with at least 6 years of management or administrative experience in a managerial capacity
- Master’s degree in Management or any course equivalent with at least 4 years of management or administrative experience in a managerial capacity
- Strong background in Accounting and Finance, and exposure to Human Resources, Procurement, Risk Management, Logistics, OHS, Security and Protocol
- Experience working in an international organization/ enterprise
- Demonstrated general management skills
- Experience in dealing with government and regulatory authorities
- Knowledge and understanding of local laws and compliance requirements
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills, in particular using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Internet
- Experience in using ERPs
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.