Officer, Programme (Swedish Red Cross)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.”
The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services. IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegations and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
IFRC Moldova Country office has been established to support the Moldova Red Cross Society (MRCS) to foster local action, and stronger local ownership and contribute to sustainable local development in various areas including Branch and Volunteer Development via delegates, programme coordinators and assistants to facilitate coherence and overall alignment of support to MRCS programs.
The Programme Officer will provide comprehensive support to the Swedish Red Cross Country Office, and its program and projects in Moldova, in the areas of project management, PMER (planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting), finance, and administration. Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Country Representative, the position will work closely with the Moldova Red Cross Society (MRCS) and, as needed, extend support to the Swedish Red Cross (SRC) Country Office in Romania.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Project Management and PMER (50%)
- Contribute to the planning, budgeting, and reporting of projects to ensure that they are timely and in accordance with quality standards.
- Support the MRCS in project management and compliance with SRC procedures, regulations, and policies.
- Provide guidance to MRCS staff and volunteers, especially at the branch level, to ensure quality in programming, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on implementation. Develop and support the application of an M&E framework and corresponding information management tools in close collaboration with the MRCS and ensure its dissemination to MRCS branches.
- Monitor project progress, ensure compliance with SRC program standards, and prepare reports. Identify and report any issues that could affect project implementation, including safety and security concerns, difficulties to operate, and any developing situations that could hinder project implementation.
- Work closely with MRCS staff to ensure timely and quality implementation of project activities. Conduct regular field visits jointly with the MRCS to identify and help solve any critical challenges/issues faced in the program.
- Collaborate with and assist the MRCS in assessing the capacities and needs of vulnerable groups and developing adequate response plans.
- Provide support to capacity building initiatives with the MRCS, including facilitating and organizing trainings, workshops, and developing tools.
- Assist in preparing, designing, and implementing surveys, evaluations, and other relevant studies as needed for the project; this may include taking part in internal reviews to assess operational progress, including lesson learning reviews.
Finance and Administration (50%)
- Track project budgets and expenditures to ensure they are aligned with the approved budget and that all financial transactions are properly documented and accounted for.
- Provide guidance to MRCS for compliance with procurement and financial SRC procedures, as well as the preparation of financial reports in line with requirements.
- Assist in preparing budgets and financial reports.
- Coordinate closely with the SRC Controller in Headquarters.
- Prepare payments to suppliers.
- Maintain files and records in accordance with SRC procedures.
- Provide overall administrative support to the SRC Country Office, e.g., travel and meeting arrangements, office supplies purchase, etc.
- Provide support to procurement, including preparing and issuing tenders, evaluating bids, and launching contracts.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Provide translation assistance during meetings involving various stakeholders (RO/RU/EN).
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
- Travel to Romania may be required.
- Bachelor's degree in Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Relations, or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in supporting programs in the development and/or humanitarian field
- Minimum of 2 years in project management
- Experience with planning, budgeting, reporting, finance management, procurement
- Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent and/or other humanitarian and development actors
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Knowledge in needs assessments
- M&E and information management tools
- Computer literate
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Analytical Skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Organized and self-starter in work prioritising
- Experience with capacity building and facilitation of trainings/workshops
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be an excellent communicator
- Proficiency in writing plans, project proposals, narrative reports
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Russian and Romanian
- Fluent in written and spoken Ukrainian
Competencies, Values and Comments
- Respect for diversity
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Judgement and decision making
- National society and customer relations
- Creativity and innovation
- Building trust
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: