National Project Officer (Research)
Post Number : 4INEDPA049GI
Grade : NO-C
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15-DEC-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only nationals of India are eligible to apply for this position.
Duration of Contract is one (1) year, with the possibility of an extension subject to the availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is UNESCO’s first education- related category 1 institute in the Asia and the Pacific region towards the development and promotion of new approaches to education for a more peaceful and sustainable world. The Institute is a leader in the conceptualization, design, and formulation of regional and sub-regional strategies in education for peace and sustainable development, by drawing from the latest research from the science of learning with a particular focus on social emotional learning.
Towards achieving its mandate MGIEP is developing a skill-based SEL assessment framework and is now conducting empirical research to design its feasibility to be implemented digitally and exploring its potential both for cultivating well-being and promoting humanistic and global citizenship behaviours in adolescents. To do so MGIEP conducts basic research by (a) direct testing of SEL skills in adolescents and (b) design digital pedagogy course centred around UNESCO goals and contemporary themes that embed assessments to build Cognitive Academic Social Emotional (CASE) skills in digital interactive modules on MGIEP’s learning platform Framerspace.
For this purpose, MGIEP seeks to identify a National Project Officer (Research) to lead the empirical research of SEL Assessment Framework and supervise the pilot testing of the learning modules ensuring good research design to ensure that they build cognitive, academic and socio-emotional skills.Long Description
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Institute and the direct supervision of the Senior National Project Officer, the incumbent will serve as the National Project Officer (Research) and will carry out the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and implement large scale research studies to test the efficacy of MGIEP’s SEL Assessment Framework
- Adapt the framework to align with the needs of SEL assessments for different member states.
- Supervise and advise the design, develop and implement pilot research studies to test the efficacy of digital pedagogy-based courses (including digital games) that embed the Cognitive Academic Social Emotional (CASE) approach.
- Use a range of quantitative and qualitative research methods, ensuring the credibility of information and evidence to build empirical evidence for the CASE approach and translate research findings into peer reviewed research publications that will undergo rigorous peer review in top quality international journals.
Co-ordination and Management
- Supervise and monitor research staff directly implementing research projects and promptly inform management of any significant risks and propose risk mitigation measures.
- Regularly organize meetings of the research group within the Institute on course implementation units.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in neuroscience, science of learning, education cognitive science, or other education related sciences.
- At least 4 years of experience relating to research, teaching, curriculum development, pedagogy, technology, social and emotional learning, sciences of learning\neurosciences,;
- Experience in research design and results monitoring, in areas related to education.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary research teams and published in peer reviewed journals.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to think out of the box and make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow and ensure teams are resourced for success and empowered to deliver.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform and create confidence among stakeholders by delivering authoritative positions, compelling analysis, and contextual acumen.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment and accepts accountability for the outcomes of programme delivery and facilitates improvement and innovation in the delivery of products and services.
- Ability to lead integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in the field of education.
- Ability to undertake literature reviews and write high quality journal papers.
- Advanced and persuasive written and communication skills.
- Comprehensive research, interpretation, and critical analysis skills.
- Knowledge of research methods and experience of supporting learner communities to achieve greater inclusiveness, equity, and quality.
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Hindi.
- Ph.D. desirable in neuroscience, science of learning, education cognitive science or other education related sciences.
- An H-Index of 3 and above.
- International experience in research.
- Working knowledge of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate Net Pensionable annual starting salary for this post is INR 3,645,296, subject to the deduction of pension, medical insurance, etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.