Senior Officer, Information Technology and Digitalization
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The IFRC is a membership organisation established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (the Movement). The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies (NSs) with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
The IFRC is headquartered in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world. The IFRC is led by a Secretary General. The Geneva headquarters provides support to governance mechanisms; sets norms and standards; provides guidance to field offices; ensures consistency, coordination, and accountability for performance; facilitates knowledge sharing; promotes collaboration within and respect for the Movement; and expands engagement with partners. The headquarters is organized in three main divisions: (i) Partnerships, including Movement and Membership; (ii) Programmes and Operations; and (iii) Management. The Secretariat has five regional office, as follows: Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia/Pacific (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa (Beirut).
Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology and Digital Transformation Services and Support, Africa. The Senior IT officer is a member of the Regional IT team.
The Senior Information Technology officer is the Regional Office focal person for all day to day IT operational matters and works closely with the global IT service center in Budapest. This includes ensuring optimal functioning of the IT infrastructure and availability of all relevant IT services.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor network infrastructure to ensure proper network functionality and availability to all system users and take lead in proposing areas of improvement. Manage user mail accounts and other online user application systems ensuring that they are setup and working properly.
- Provide support in the implementation /rollout of global IT systems projects in the region taking into account cost, scope and timelines.
- Provide technical support in IT procurements in the region ensuring the organization gets value for money on all IT investments. Maintain and manage inventory of IT & telecommunications equipment, according to IFRC standards, to meet the usual and surge response requirements
- Establish an efficient business continuity plan by ensuring an effective functioning of IT & telecommunications equipment and carrying out efficient preventive maintenance (this may include installation, maintenance and repair telecommunications and computer equipment).
- Supervise and carry out Installation , maintenance , troubleshooting , and repairing of cabled, wireless and other network infrastructure services.
- Setup and organize training of staff on office telephone system and other modes of audio/video communication.
- Operate an IT helpdesk by rendering prompt, professional and friendly assistance to users who report different ICT incidences and problems.
- Tracking and updating IT inventory, completing the IT item damage report, and managing the handover of IT assets in conjunction with the IFRC staff Policy and procedures.
- Install new software release, system upgrades, evaluate and install patches and resolve software related problems according to Federation standards.
Building Partnerships and coordinate IT projects
- Strengthen the relationships with operations and services staff in the region to represent business needs, identify needs and technology gaps.
- Support operations and services staff on the opportunities, security and requirements of IT systems to safeguard organizational data.
- Monitor projects and plans and developments across IFRC to inform and advise other departments in best and most efficient use of IT systems and resources.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Strengthen the working relations external Service providers, other stakeholders and the Administration department to ensure to the extent possible, uninterrupted power supply to the computer architecture at the region and to ensure uninterrupted internet connectivity.
- Provide seamless IT support to the other county cluster and country offices to improve service delivery.
- Monitor and ensure that all IT related Service level Agreements (SLAs) with suppliers are met to help ensure the organization gets value for money.
- Provide technical support on various IT projects as may be assigned.
Mobile Telecoms and Security access
- Develop a system for proper maintenance of all office IT equipment including photocopier and office IT consumables and supervise external stakeholders in cases where services are outsourced.
- Coordinate the management of telephone services with the services providers including direct lines and the mobile handsets monitoring monthly costs.
- Manage the office access system ensuing timely provision of the access cards and security access codes and advice on any reviews as and when necessary.
- Develop a plan to manage telephone bill costs for both in country and roaming services with an intention of reducing the overall cost.
- Facilitate staff training to both improve on the communication processes, manage communication cost and IT related consumables costs.
- Track new technology developments among staff and within the Region and IT sector; maintain personally an up-to-date professional understanding at the policy and strategic level, of the substantive content of the specific activities covered by the department.
- In close collaboration with the Manager, Information Technology and Digital Transformation Services and Support, Africa Information Systems Manager, analyze the existing skills, identify further skill requirements and provide the necessary support, development and training for the secretariat and the NSs in the region.
- Carry out continuous market information systems review and technology trends with an intention of recommending the latest technologies and areas of improvement to management.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Develop and maintain a network of IT and Telecoms resources for disaster response/preparedness activities of the Federation, and to assist in National Society capacity building.
- Be part of the team within the Region for IT & Telecom emergency preparedness and response.
- Recognized professional qualification in the area of engineering, telecommunications, electronics, computer science or equivalent technology work. Required.
- University degree, in Engineering, computer sciences discipline. Required.
- 5 years minimum of work in computer systems (LAN, WAN TCP/IP connectivity, E-mail, application and user support domains). Required.
- 5 years minimum of work in radio communication technologies (VHF, HF) and satellites (VSAT). Preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement or with other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies. Preferred
- Experience of project management within Information Technology. Required.
- Experience in providing training and facilitating workshops. Required.
- Proven people management skills; management of a team with a minimum of 1 staff members. Required.
- Experience working in a change management situation, preferably as an active participant in that change. Required.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Ability to lead and manage in a diverse cultural context. Required.
- Strong knowledge of information sharing tools, and the ability to implement them. Required.
- Highly organized, with ability to create unified team approach. Required.
- Strong negotiation, collaboration and influencing skills. Required.
- Service minded, ability to lead, delegate and manage from distance. Required.
- Expertise with systems and applications such as: Network components, e-mail systems, Client/Server systems, ISPs & IP connectivity, applications, hardware (Current are predominately Microsoft, HP, Dell and Cisco based). Required.
- Excellent skills in wireless technologies, including HF and VHF radio. Required.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including the ability to lead within a matrix management structure and utilize talent and experience of team members in a productive way. Required.
- Demonstrated track record in innovating, contributing to a learning culture, sharing knowledge and new approaches to engaging partners. Required.
- Professional credibility, able to work effectively at all levels across the organization. Required.
- Proven good judgment and ability to work with complete integrity and confidentiality, acting as a model of highest integrity in personal capacity and at team level. Required.
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels. Required.
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment. Required.
- Budget and finance management. Preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills. Required.
- Fluently spoken and written English. Required.
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian). Preferred.
Competencies, Values and Comments
- Core Competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust.
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: