Product Assurance & Safety Engineer
EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Product Assurance & Safety Engineer
Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
With a resident assignment to ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany
Product Assurance and Safety* Engineer in the Product Assurance and Safety Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
You will be assigned as integrated support to ESOC, the European Space Agency's Spacecraft Operations Centre in the Directorate of Operations (D/OPS). You will liaise with the relevant ESOC services, and will report functionally to the Head of the OPS Product Assurance and Safety Office.
Regarding the maintenance of professional standards, the implementation of the ESA general product assurance policy and contributions to corporate tasks (such as reviews, standardisation, alerts and lessons learned), you will report to the Head of the Product Assurance and Safety Department through and with the coordination of the OPS Product Assurance and Safety Office.
Training and familiarisation with the parent Department's mandate, processes and procedures will be provided at the start of this assignment.
*PA&S covers PA management, quality assurance, dependability and safety, EEE components (including radiation hardness),materials, processes and mechanical parts (including cleanliness and contamination control), and software product assurance.
Reporting to OSP-Q, your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- defining and documenting the product assurance tasks for each space mission you have been assigned to support, with reference to applicable requirements and the OPS Quality and Security Management System procedures;
- organising and supporting the anomaly and problem management process;
- ensuring effective configuration management implementation;
- organising and supporting the risk management process, taking information security threats into account;
- initiating and supporting the lessons-learned process;
- ensuring that the required quality tools are available and configured;
- providing training to OPS staff on implementation of the OPS Quality and Security Management System and on quality-related control methods and techniques;
- actively supporting the review of tasks and documentation relating to projects and activities from a product assurance and safety viewpoint;
- performing product assurance and safety tasks in coordination with the resources of the OPS Product Assurance and Safety Office;
- maintaining the OPS Quality and Security Management System procedures;
- promoting and improving the integration of quality and security aspects in OPS policies and processes;
- executing quality and information security audits as assigned by the OPS Product Assurance and Safety Office;
- monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining a state-of-the-art expertise;
- participating in periodic meetings with the parent Section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned across the Agency.
Your duties may also include supporting other activities within your field of competence.
A Master's degree in an engineering discipline is required for this post.
Several years' experience in space-related developments is required, as well as a good knowledge of the PA&S domain and proven experience in interfacing with partners in an international environment, i.e. outside your home country. Knowledge of ISO 27001 and ISO 9001 standards will be an asset.
Experience in and/or exposure to spacecraft operations is considered an asset.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required.
Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
Applicants must be eligible to access technology and hardware which is subject to European and US export controlregulations.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States*.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
In principle, recruitment will be within the advertised grade band (A2-A4). However, if the selected candidate has less than four years of relevant professional experience following the completion of the master’s degree, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.