UN Security Operations Center Operator (Nationals Only)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
This position will be supporting key functions and operations of the United Nations. The role of a SOC Operator can be challenging and unpredictable as they will be required to respond and assist callers in need of immediate assistance. They will have the responsibility to pass key information and instructions in a timely and calm manner to UNSMS personnel and others, as required. At times, the work will be fast paced and intense, but highly rewarding as the Operators will be part of a response and support team which contributes to the work of the United Nations. The selected candidate will gain valuable experience and skills while working with people from a broad range of cultures and professional backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides statistical data on security incidents in-country to contribute to a range of UNDSS products;
• Coordinates timely dissemination of security threat information;
• Provides appropriate translation of information from national languages to English;
• Takes chronological notes of any significant incident, assists the FSA/SA in the preparation of detailed reports on security incidents, adding maps where necessary, and assists FSA/SA in the preparation of monthly reports and routine correspondence;
• Monitors local press and internet media sources for relevant security incidents and issues media summaries containing news, which may affect the UN & Humanitarian community; immediately informs FSA/SA on receiving information orally or through internet, which influences security situation in area, if required keeps informed UNDSS HQ COMCEN;
• Conducts regular and random radio checks (via VHF, HF) according to radio check plan, maintains a record of radio checks with UNSMS members/UNSOCs in neighbor countries. Radio check logbook is duly filled up by the incumbent and disseminated as per procedure;
• Operates all communications equipment including VHF and HF radios, satellite telephones, facsimile;
• Maintains database of UN personnel and dependents, personnel with security role, UN vehicles, radio call signs, UN Warden lists etc.;
• Maintains the contact details of the response team emergency services and support
structures of host government, local authorities and contracted private security
companies; direct personnel to the nearest one during times of security or safety
• Assists FSA/SA in provision of assistance to staff members on 24/7 basis in any emergency;
• Assists FSA/SA in warden system activation including dissemination of information, collecting, analyzing, reporting information;
• Under the guidance of the FSA/SA, provide full assistance to Crisis Coordination Center (CCC) and Crisis Management Team (CMT);
• Issues ID cards for UN personnel and eligible dependents taking their photos and filling all the necessary records.
• Provides administrative/technical support to FSA in issues related to UN SOC;
• Performs all other related duties as requested by the Designated Official, UNDSS SA and UNDSS FSA.
- Think Innovatively
- Achieve Result
- Risk Management
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary education.
• Prior working experience within the UN system, an international NGO, or another international organization is desirable.
• Good understanding of computer-based tools such as MS Office and other computer-based, web and smartphone applications;
• Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions;