Deputy Director, Business Development, Social Impact, Arlington, VA
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
SI is seeking a Deputy Director to provide supervision and support to an assigned sub-set of SI staff; perform critical management, business and strategy development functions; play a key role in identification, capture and bid decision-making process; and participate in all phases of the established business development process, including bid/no bid, proposal coordination, and staffing decisions. The Deputy Director has experience tracking, designing and managing complex proposals for US Government development agencies, including USAID, DoS, MCC, USDA, and other bilateral and multilateral development agencies, foundations and non-government entities. He/she is also a skilled team leader, has an established track record in personnel management and is able to support a variety of organizational management functions such as planning, budgeting and resource planning. The Deputy Director reports to the Director of Business Development.
Institutional Personnel Management:
· Play a key role in BD team management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 3-5 BD staff, including Managers, Associates, Assistants, and Interns.
· Serve as a coach and mentor to assigned staff, providing career advice, and advocating for staff interests.
· Provide advice, training, and support on general capture and proposal management; relationship management; recruitment; and pricing.
· Provide oversight to assigned staff’s capture and proposal management responsibilities.
· Conduct goal setting, coaching and performance reviews and appraisals for assigned staff.
· Align staff interests and expertise with geographies, donor agencies, proposals and organizational needs.
· Assess workloads, identifying personnel resource needs through forecasting, and making recommendations to implement resource leveling or hiring decisions.
· Recommend realignment of workload as necessary in order to optimize high quality service delivery, staff professional development and work life balance.
· Participate in the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of new BD team staff.
Capture and Pre-Positioning:
· Provide guidance and mentoring to BD staff regarding their Capture Management responsibilities.
· Identify and track new business opportunities as available from government sources, SI HQ employees as well as field offices, consultants and analysis of competitor activities.
· In coordination with the BD Director, allocate resources for capture work.
· Serve as the Capture Manager for strategically important bids.
· Lead and support efforts to identify and lock international and local partners.
· Assist the recruitment team in efforts to identify, interview and vet potential Key Personnel.
· Work with the BD Director to develop and refine Capture Management procedures and practices.
· Provide guidance and mentoring to BD staff regarding their Proposal Management responsibilities.
· Develop tools and guides to facilitate the proposal process.
· Lead the proposal development process for select, strategically important bids, transitioning from the Capture Manager role to include Proposal Management responsibilities.
· Assist the BD Managers, Associates and Assistants in the proposal development process for other bids.
· Serve as pink, red, and/or gold team reviewer on select proposals.
· Work with the BD Director to develop and refine Proposal Management procedures and practices.
· Support the Director of BD, and other VPs, in determining strategic direction and identifying priority opportunities and countries.
· Serve as a resource for executive leadership for developing practice areas and strategy, relationship management, analysis of SOPs, staff capacity building, and client diversification.
· Support intelligence gathering.
· Participate in strategic planning for the business development team, helping to define strategy, budget and resource allocation for the department.
· Identify and coordinate BD initiatives.
· Conduct research on competition, foreign assistance trends, and potential partners.
· Build relationships with USG and other clients and with potential partner organizations.
· Attend BD networking opportunities, including think tank events, international development policy events, career fairs, workshops, and seminars, SID Gala, etc.
· Assist in marketing and public relations efforts to promote company services and capabilities to current and potential clients, partners, and consultants.
· Liaise with Program units, with respective Deputy Directors and the Senior Management Team, to coordinate internal initiatives, staff assignments, and other responsibilities.
· Manage knowledge management process and components for the BD unit.
· Facilitate BD learning companywide, including tracking and analyzing lessons and best practices from individual proposal efforts, client debriefs, and client and competitor trends.
· Master’s degree in international development or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum 5 – 8 years of experience in business development and proposal management.
· Thorough knowledge of government and/or donor contracting practices.
· Demonstrated ability to understand and implement pertinent company and client policies and procedures clearly and accurately.
· Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers, donors, supervisees, business professionals, and the general public.
· Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and provide advice and guidance in a timely fashion.
· Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus.
· Technical expertise in one or more sectors (e.g. health, environment, education, economic growth, democracy and governance) is a strong plus.
· Strong leadership, interpersonal, entrepreneurial, management, and writing skills required.
· Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, growing business environment.
· Willingness to travel on assignment up to 25% of the time.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To apply, please visit our website: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=1&rid=388
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.