Health Programme Manager
General Description of GOAL’s Work in Sierra Leone
GOAL has a 14 year presence in Sierra Leone with activities in Western Area, Kenema, Bombali, Port Loko, Kambia, Bo, Bonthe, and Kono Districts. The GOAL Sierra Leone programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of multi-sectorial, integrated programmes which specifically focus on community health including nutrition, health systems strengthening, water, sanitation & hygiene, and child protection and empowerment interventions. GOAL mainstreams gender, child protection, HIV and environment across all programs and operations.
GOAL is engaged in all areas of the EVD response, as the lead agency for the Social Mobilization Action Consortium (SMAC), a member of the Freetown WASH Consortium (FWC) and a member of the Ebola Response Consortium (ERC). The latter is engaged with ensuring IPC standards in PHUs and Hospitals. GOAL are also managing the DFID-funded Emergency Ebola Response Fund (DEERF) and are operating a 100-bed EVD Treatment Facility in Port Loko.
Background to GOAL’s Health Programmes
GOAL has been working in Sierra Leone since 1999, and has significant experience implementing community-led programming in the sectors of health, WASH and nutrition as well as Child Protection and Livelihoods. Additionally GOAL operates in collaboration with local government agencies in order to develop their capacity and further ensure sustainability and ownership of the action. Where possible, GOAL works to improve the capacity of government systems including the MOHS to implement their own policies and objectives in order to bring about sustained and improved change in people’s lives.
As a result of the current EVD outbreak, the health programme is extending its operational areas to other districts and is implementing infection prevention and control projects for peripheral health units and hospitals in Bombali, Port Loko, Bonthe and Western Area, supporting isolation units and hospitals in several districts including Bombali, and is the lead agency for community level social mobilization activities in Kenema district and Western Area.
Main purpose of the role
The primary purpose of this role is to provide overall management and technical oversight to GOAL SL health programming, including WASH linked to health facilities, in the areas of infection prevention and control and health system strengthening. The position will also contribute to the overall health strategy development for GOAL SL in close collaboration with the team.
Overall Objectives of Role
To coordinate and oversee the implementation and monitoring of infection prevention and control, integrated health, and health system strengthening activities.
Key Responsibilities of the post
- Programme Management
- Coordinate the implementation of community health facility and hospital infection prevention and control projects in the field site/ district, including oversight of trainings, quality assurance assessments, data collection, and site supervision.
- Oversee the establishment of triage and isolation areas / units in the health facilities. Liaise with WASH and IPC training teams to support as needed.
- Manage planned upcoming projects focused on maternal and child health promotion and outreach in the district.
- Engage in organizational strategic planning regarding post-Ebola integrated health programme activities
- Directly line manage relevant health staff in the district. Oversee the HR management these staff and teams, including forming job descriptions, formulation and follow up of annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly objectives, and carrying out annual staff performance appraisals.
- Coordinate planning and budgeting for health programming, in line with longer-term programme plans and proposals agreed with donors (i.e. DFID, OFDA, IAPF, EU and UNICEF).
- Coordinate monthly, quarterly and annual activity planning and budget reforecasting.
- For all supported health programmes, oversee monthly, annual and end of project internal and donor report writing.
- Timely submission of health activity reports to Programme Support Officer, and Health Coordinator as required.
- Technical support
- Provide technical assistance to health programming within GOAL Sierra Leone as appropriate
- Provide support to Government PHUs and Government Hospitals through on-the job mentoring and supportive supervision
- Take a community development approach to health programming, ensuring beneficiary and community participation in needs assessments prior to new project proposal design and during implementation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Liaise with the Health Coordinator on programme technical design and implementation.
- Relationship Management
- Liaise with coordinators of Child Protection, WASH, Social Mobilisation and Livelihood teams to ensure an integrated approach to health across GOAL programming in the District.
- Build good working relationships with other health stakeholders in the district including other NGOs, MoHS, DHMT and donors and represent GOAL at relevant meetings and Health Forums as required.
- Strategy development
- Participate in developing plans, proposals and budgets for projects and project extensions in conjunction with the relevant team.
- Oversee long term strategy development and direction setting for GOAL’s health programme in coordination with the Health team, GOAL Sierra Leone Senior Management Team, GOAL’s Global Health Advisor and in line with GOAL’s global strategy and Government of Sierra Leone priorities.
- Proactively seek out and pursue other project funding opportunities in line with strategy.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- With relevant staff, develop and implement mechanisms for the collection of key data for programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Quality check data collected and ensure that data is utilised to direct programme activities.
- Undertake review of supported PHUs and hospitals to assess their capacity to carry out service delivery and discuss findings with the DHMT.
- Comply with GOAL’s Child Protection and Gender Policy at all times.
- Mainstream HIV and Environment in activities.
- Perform other duties as required by the line manager.
- Ability to facilitate staff delivery of programming
- Delegate tasks as appropriate
- Proactively raise issues and work with line manages to find solutions.
- Professional qualification in public health. Clinical experience and training is a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years’ professional experience in managing health programmes.
- Understanding of WASH and Social Mobilisation programming an advantage.
- Proven management experience, including work planning, report writing, monitoring and evaluation, staff management and project coordination.
- Good communication and report-writing skills.
- Ability to operate under time pressure and meet deadlines, to work independently and take the initiative.
- Good team-building, negotiation and conflict resolution skills and the ability to deal respectfully with people from all walks of life.
- Experience in building and maintaining good working relationships with other organisations and government ministries.
- Previous experience working in a similar role in an NGO/humanitarian organization is an asset.
- Willingness to work in disadvantaged communities.
- Familiar with using Microsoft Office software packages.
- Representational experience at a senior level
- Commitment to GOAL’s child protection and gender policies.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Freetown
- Grade: Mid level
- Development Cooperation
- Health service
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30