General Description of the Programme:
Since igniting in 2014, the ongoing conflict in Ukraine has forced upwards of 2.2 million people out of their homes, with displacement figures rising each month. More than five million are in need of humanitarian assistance, with the most acute needs in the eastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions. GOAL has been in Ukraine from early 2015, responding to the needs of one of the most vulnerable groups affected by the conflict.
General Description of the Role:
Working in a dynamic environment, the Financial Controller is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, management of funds, and reporting requirements of the organisation. In particular the successful candidate will ensure timely submission of required donors reports, monthly management accounts to GOAL Dublin, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities, as well budget preparation and monitoring of the programme. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller will contribute to the overall development and running of the country programme.
Duties of the role:
- Report directly to Country Director in country and to Chief Financial Officer in Dublin
- To manage/supervise and work closely with local financial administrative staff
- Prepare monthly management accounts for approval by Country Director for submission to Dublin
- Ensure proper financial systems, in Ukraine head office and across a field locations, are in place and implemented to accurately record expenditure
- Liaise with Ukraine legal advisers and local accountants relating to GOAL Ukraine’s reporting and tax payments
- Ensure compliance with GOALs standard accounting procedures and policies across the Ukraine programme and actively monitor internal controls to minimize risk to the organization. In particular ensure appropriate cash management procedures are in place and operating effectively
- Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate the annual external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits
- Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites in cooperation with the Programmes & Logistics team ensure that GOAL Ukraine is in compliance with all relevant donor and internal guidelines
- Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable
- Review monthly management accounts including donor status reporting for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to strict deadlines
- Review financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines, coordinating with local legal and accounting advisors as appropriate
- Review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports
- Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets
- Monitor and assist with the financial management of programme budgets including expenditure forecasting, ensuring the Budget Monitoring Tool (BMT) is completed in a timely manner
- Maintain and keep updated Ukraine Finance Manual, including a summarized and simplified finance and logistics manual for use by project managers and other field based staff
- Oversee training and capacity building of locally recruited finance staff
- Provide support to human resources on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
- Responsibility for ensuring local compliance with the employee tax deductions, that all relevant statutory deductions are made from the employees’ salaries and paid out to the appropriate authorities, coordinating with local legal, accounting and human resource advisors as appropriate.
- Provide support on human resources a member of the country’s senior management team.
- Any other duties as required.
- Qualified accountant. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent.
- At least five years’ experience, with at least one of these overseas.
- At least two years at a senior management level.
- Strong ability to work in highly pressured environment, with high levels of deliverables required on a continuous basis.
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as USAID, OFDA, ECHO, EC, UN grants and DFID.
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong IT skills and systems experience; Excel advanced with Sage experience desirable.
- Strong experience liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGO’s.
General terms and conditions:
Package to include pre-departure medical expenses, annual return air fares, accommodation and travel insurance. A salary commensurate with experience is also provided.
Reporting to: Country Director and CFO
Contract Length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
Start Date: ASAP
Job Location: Based in Kiev, Ukraine with periodic travel to sub-office locations
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Note: GOAL is an equal opportunities employer
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Kiev
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30