Gender and Development Specialist
Islamabad and Addis Ababa | Addis Ababa | Islamabad
We are seeking an experienced, pro‐active self-motivated and results‐oriented Gender and Development Specialist to join our interdisciplinary team of scientists working to improve the livelihoods of resource-poor wheat and maize farmers in the developing world. As a member of the CIMMYT Gender Team under the Socio-Economics Program, and in close collaboration with other socioeconomic and biophysical scientists and international and national partners, the successful candidate will undertake applied research on gender issues in sustainable intensification of wheat and maize-based farming systems and contribute to strengthening the institutional capacity for integrating gender in wheat- and maize research-for-development.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The selected candidate will be based in Islamabad, Pakistan or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The main responsibilities of this position will include:
- Carry out research to strengthen the evidence base concerning the roles, needs and constraints of men and women small-scale farmers in wheat-based systems, with a particular focus on Pakistan and Ethiopia.
- Identify and promote avenues for integration of effective gender transformative approaches in wheat research and technology development, -adaptation and -diffusion.
- Contribute to CIMMYTs involvement in the cross-CRP “Global study on gender norms, agency and innovation in agriculture and natural resource management”.
- Lead implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting of interventions under the project "Understanding Gender in Wheat-Based Livelihoods for Enhanced Wheat R4D Impact in Pakistan and Ethiopia".
- Contribute to the overall coordination of gender research and mainstreaming, including implementation of the CIMMYT and MAIZE and WHEAT gender strategies, yearly work planning, reporting and communication as part of the CIMMYT Gender team.
- Contribute to institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening for integration of gender in research at different levels in CIMMYT and among its partners.
- Publish findings of gender research in international peer reviewed journals.
- Contribute to mobilization of resources to strengthen gender R4D in CIMMYT/WHEAT/MAIZE.
- Perform any other responsibilities and duties assigned by the Program Director and Senior Management.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- PhD in Gender Studies, Development Studies, Social Anthropology, Rural Development Sociology, Human Geography, Development Economics or related fields, with strong focus on gender relations.
- Minimum 5 years post-PhD relevant experience working with gender-and-agriculture issues in developing countries, particularly in South Asia or Middle East.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills - and interest to apply both.
- Experience with project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation, and reporting.
- Proven leadership-, interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with partners.
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills, including excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Established international publications record.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online here for 15832 Gender and Development Specialist Screening and follow up of applications will start on Monday, 14 September 2015. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Daniel Ixtla, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.