Senior Program Manager - Jordan
Position: Senior Program Manager
Duration: 12 months, with possibility of extension dependent on future funding
Location: Amman, Jordan
Reports to: Country Director, Jordan
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global organization and home to teams of humanitarian professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: Relief International (RI) seeks a dynamic, hands-on Senior Program Manager to support one or multiple Southern Syria Response projects focused on Health and Protection, based in Jordan. The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for overall project management, for ensuring that project objectives are on track, coordinate with humanitarian actors and donors to mobilize resources, remotely plan and manage the scale up of the emergency response in Syria, and to provide day to day operational backstopping support and strategic direction to the Syria country program staff in collaboration with the Jordan Country Director, Regional Director, and Regional Program Development Manager. The Senior Program Manager is responsible for identifying needs and resources and elaborating program plans and proposals for the emergency response in line with Relief International national and global priorities, donor priorities, and in line with identified gaps in the overall response in Syria.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Strategic direction and overall supervision and successful implementation of the project(s)
- Development of workplans and budget management according to project outputs and results
- Manage teams of expatriate and/or national staff to complete program goals on time and on budget
- Evaluate activity progress and determine necessary actions to course correct
- Provide program reports that are timely and meet institutional and donor requirements.
- Represent RI at Health-sector and other related working groups and/or coordination meetings, as needed, and maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for RI
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with local partners, local authorities and vendors
- Facilitate donor visits to project sites as appropriate
- Work constructively with support teams to ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping, compliance with donor regulations, communications, etc.
- Frequent travel to other cities to attend project sites and provide support to team as needed
- Review the short and long range plans for delivery of project services, and provide guidance to the RI staff, health facility staff and/or local partners to improve planning, management and delivery.
- Implement health monitoring systems and record keeping methods that support routine country-level, international, interagency, and donor reporting as appropriate.
- Support clinic audits to assess status of health and other services, quality of supply and facilities, and on-site health information systems, in accordance with RI and international standards and policies. Provide a summary of recommended areas of improvement, areas of success, and lead the commencement of an action plan with RI staff, local partners and/or health facility staff to evolve and make positive systems improvements where needed.
- Analysis of clinic databases to report on key indicators. Advise on improved methodologies when applicable. Mentor local partners in monitoring and evaluation of projects involving remote management.
- Propose and implement capacity building activities aimed at enhancing skills of local health providers and/or partners in delivery of primary care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, etc
- Provide direction to RI country team during outbreaks of disease or other health emergencies
- Ensure optimal safety and security management procedures and practices are in place for the emergency response program and continually monitor the safety and security situation, adapting staff safety and security procedures accordingly in collaboration and cooperation with any relevant security staff.
- Oversee effective functioning of logistics systems to procure, store and distribute stocks, supplies and services for the timely delivery of project objectives.
- Ensure strong accountability to beneficiaries.
- Lead on organizational level operational practice, innovation and learning in consultation with the Country Director, Regional Director and other functional leads.
- Assess health and other needs of populations affected by the Syria conflict
- Stay up to date with all regional and country-specific response plans by the U.N., donors active in the health and other sectors as appropriate, and other key actors
- Provide technical input, writing and budgetary input for new program design. Writing of proposals is an essential requirement of this position.
- Interface with key donors (OFDA, ECHO, PRM, UNHCR, DFID) regarding health and other related programs
- Share methods, approaches and tools with RI colleagues across the region, and contribute toward RI’s regional response strategy by ensuring programmatic coherence, innovation and responsiveness
Qualifications & requirements:
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding, fast paced and often insecure environment.
- Extensive experience (over 7 years) of working within a senior management role within a complex country program in a complex emergency response or fragile state. Previous experience of managing program teams in first phase emergency response is essential.
- Demonstrable experience in remote management situations is required.
- Proven expertise of leading in fundraising, seeking and securing new donors, successful proposal writing and reporting.
- Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and grant/contract management and the implications for program management
- Experience of managing large and complex, multi-donor, multi-sector programs (including ECHO, DFID and OFDA / USAID) in a first phase response.
- Substantial experience in the financial management of budgets, including preparing financial projections, general financial management and reporting.
- Strong report writing skills and experience
- Excellent English language skills, and knowledge of Arabic essential.
- Demonstrated project cycle management skills, inclusive of work plan/timeline/deliverables/and budget tracking and course correction.
- Experience of international level representation with key stakeholders, and coordination with other NGOs/UN
- Experience of remote management M&E and beneficiary accountability systems in large and complex programs
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Relief International. In particular, a good understanding of the humanitarian mandate and principles.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value:
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
- Organization: Relief International
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30