Shelter Project Manager
Erbil | Baghdad
Shelter Project Manager
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 3500 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In response to the Syrian Refugee Crisis, NRC has expanded its Middle East emergency response programmes in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, and Iraq. In Iraq, NRC has operations in Baghdad and in two locations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI) providing WASH, shelter, Education and protection activities to Syrian refugees in formal and informal settlement sites, including camps, transit sites and host communities in urban settings. In June 2014, NRC expanded its programming to meet the needs of internally displaced people (IDPs) throughout Iraq. Shelter project serves displaced populations in Erbil including Syrian refugees, IDPs, hot communities in Erbil.
The Shelter Project Manager oversees all programmatic, operational and financial aspects of the Shelter projects, in close collaboration with the Area Manager and the rest of the NRC program team in Erbil and the region. She/he strives to strengthen and expand shelter programming, with a focus on ensuring quality outputs/outcomes, promoting continuous learning and staff development.
The Shelter Project Manager reports to Area Manager(AM)
- GENERIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide Shelter-specific contextual analysis as input to the Country Strategy and Contingency Plan to Area manager and Shelter Specialist
- Lead the design of new proposals, including budget development in close coordination with Shelter Specialist, , Logistics Manager, Finance Manager and Area ManagerM; actively seek funding for expanding NRC’ shelter programming;
- Based on the existing shelter program strategy be responsible for the appropriate implementation of the shelter project(s) through all project phases ensuring the proper Project Cycle Management is carried out
- Based on needs and gaps identified by conflict affected communities, local coordination mechanisms, government, partners and donors, identify programmatic opportunities and new programmatic approaches and coordinate them with the Shelter Specialist ensuring that they can become part of shelter program development
- Engage actively with local Shelter cluster/sector coordination and other relevant humanitarian platforms to ensure NRC’s representation and feedback key developments to country management and programme teams in the Area of operation
- Give input to the development and revision of funding proposals, budgets and donor reports in accordance with the Shelter CC strategy and priorities, NRC programme policy and international standards
- Build NRC staff capacity in Shelter including “hard” and “soft” components and ensure that Performance Management is effectively carried out for all Shelter Team Members
- Ensure that constructions / rehabilitations / repairs are in accordance with defined norms and local laws (including SPHERE standards), that protection and gender mainstreaming are key aspects of project design and that affected communities are actively involved throughout project cycle
- Directly supervise Project Coordinator(s), HLP Officer, and Database Officer in Shelter projects
- In close collaboration with the Finance Manager/AM, manage and monitor project finances and budgets, and produce adequate financial reports and budget revision requests;
- Solid field experience, managing shelter projects in challenging environments (conflict/emergency/post conflict)
- Solid experience in staff management
- Experience in capacity building and training of national staff
- Solid experience in managing budgets
- Experience in coordination and advocacy work
- Higher degree in an architecture or engineering or relevant field of study
- Shelter Core Competency (CC) expertise, with a minimum 3 years of experience within Shelter (or similar fields) in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Significant understanding of conflict/post-conflict dynamics, particularly the Syrian conflict and the Middle East region
- Proven communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Fluency in the English language required; Arabic preferred
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- Sound financial management skills
- Proven Experience in community driven shelter project development and implementation
- Experience in the use of Cash based mechanisms as a modality for the implementation of Shelter projects
- Proven experience in effective protection and gender mainstreaming in Shelter projects.
- Experience in developing and overseeing the effective implementation of Shelter specific Monitoring and Evaluation tools
- Proven skills in report/proposal writing in English
- Strong Computer Skills particularly in Microsoft Word and Excel; working knowledge of Publisher, Power Point, CAD and/or other design software a plus.
- Holder of a valid international driver’s license
- You are goal oriented and results driven
- You are able to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- You are able and willing to work and live under difficult circumstances
- You are flexible, creative and co-operative
- You have practical sense, willingness and ability to contribute to logistics
- You areKnowledge of the political situation in Syria and the region in general and Iraq/KRI in particular
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Iraq, Erbil.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Application procedures and CV registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for BOTH company and location
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2015-09-21