Program Director - Turkey
Reports to:Country Director
Duration: 12 months
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Turkey Country Director, the Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of related to on-going program activities in Syria and Turkey including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities. Additionally, the Program Director will work closely with the team and CD for the strategic development and management of Relief International’s programs. As head of the program team and technical departments (Education, WASH, Health) he/she will in charge of the implementing RI’s projects and to improve the capacity and volume of the programs. The Program Director will also be responsible for coordinating and managing unexpected events and program needs as they arise. This position will require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Develop new programmatic initiatives to support the strategic direction of the country strategy;
- Provide overall guidance and direction focusing the program team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives;
- Contribute to and lead program development efforts by identifying opportunities and working with Turkey CD, as well as RI’s regional and headquarters-based Program Development department, to draft proposals responding to those opportunities; Participate in the development of funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services; Innovation and creativity will be essential.
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks, communicating and collaborating regularly with the CD, Operations Manager and Security Manager.
Overall Program Management
- Oversee all programs being implemented by RI Turkey;
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and program reports as per the grant agreement; Report progress of program implementation to the donor periodically through required weekly, monthly or quarterly reports;
- Ensure effective and agile contingency plans are always up to date and evolving as needed;
- Establish and maintain systems for program operations in accordance with RI policies and procedures;
- Ensure that program activities comply with all donor and Turkish legislation and professional standards;
- Develop forms and records to document program activities;
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation;
- Oversee program-related staffing, security and financial needs per the program budgets, advising and course-correcting where needed through communication to the Country Director and other departments;
- Ensure program team staffing is balanced, effective and sufficient. Ensure adherence to and enforcement of Turkey HR policies including punctuality, productivity and principles of a professional work environment within the program team. Consistency is highly valued;
- Develop an annual program budget and operating plan to support the program, interfacing closely with all other key departments including Finance, HR, Operations, Security and the CD;
- In collaboration with the CD and Finance Manager maintain oversight of all program financial activities;
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures according to budget-holding responsibilities;
- Oversee the use of all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures as per RI regulations and donor compliance with the support of the Finance Manager;
- Ensure program implementation and budget use is in compliance with grant requirements per donor (OFDA, ECHO and UNICEF at present) with the support of the Finance Manager;
- Oversee that key program activities are achieved per program budget, timeline and donor requirements;
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department, develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify and implement action plans regarding areas for improvement;
- Ensure monitoring, evaluating and documenting of program implementation against indicators in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department (M&E); Ensure that activities are on track, including developing and implementing solutions as necessary;
- Following M&E reports, recommend and implement changes to enhance the program, as appropriate;
- Attend meetings with donors and other stakeholders;
- Maintain effective communication with donors and other stakeholders;
- Participate in NGO sector coordination groups (or delegate to appropriate technical leads) and identify areas for coordination and collaboration; Networking and bilateral meeting are key to success in this context;
- Maintain effective communication with CD and other department heads, and with RSO regarding program implementation as required;
- Perform other duties as needed.
Qualifications & requirements:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Creativity, flexibility, strong work ethic and a sense of humor are highly valued. Exceptional individuals are encouraged to apply;
- Master’s degree in a relevant Humanitarian/Development field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience; technical experience in health, WASH, and/or education strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5-7 years professional program implementation experience in conflict settings; including Program development and proposal writing experience;
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID, ECHO and UN Rules and Regulations;
- Extensive contacts with donors, U.N. agencies and other international emergency response and development actors;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- The RI Turkey Country Office fosters an environment of respect for all co-workers regardless of level of seniority. Capacity building of national staff is a core competency of every expat position, and expat staff will be evaluated on their ability to strengthen the skills and growth of more junior staff and institutional partners such as Syrian NGO counterparts;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) required; Arabic and/or Turkish language skills are highly advantageous;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value:
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
- Organization: Relief International
- Location: Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-10-07