Technical Advisor: Policy, Planning and Coordination Specialist, Adaado, Somalia
Adaado | Mogadishu
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title:Policy, Planning and Coordination Specialist, Adaado, Somalia
Job Category:Expert Department/Group: State Minister IGA/Deputy President Office, Somalia
Reporting Line(Primary Reporting Line)**: State Minister/Deputy President offices of IGA, Somalia**(**Secondary Reporting Line):**UNDP State Formation and Building Project Team Leader/Project Officer , Somalia
Duration: 3 months (Renewable subject to performance & funding)
Position Type:**Capacity Injection Starting Date**: ASAP
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Interim Galmudug Administration (IGA) of Somalia was established on 04 July, 2015. It comprises of Mudug and Galgaduud regions and Mr. Abdikarim Hussein Guled and Mr. Mohamed Hashi Abdi were elected for the President and Deputy President of the two regions.
In that regard, the President and Deputy President offices of IGA need technical support to development planning and research mechanism on national and international cooperation related to development efforts. IGA plans to develop IGA development strategy, Policies, implementation plan and create cohesive linkages between different actors: State, Private sector and civil society. The Planning, Coordination and Research Advisor plans to offer guidance and assistance to Offices of the President and Deputy President on policies and procedres, planning, coordination, report writting and linkages with related international and national partners to support state building, peace and development agenda.
The Offices of the President and Deputy President, IGA plans to function for the benefit of developing planning, monitoring and linkages with relevant of relevant stability and development actors
- To better serve IGA /Offices of the President, Deputy President/Ministries to facilitate planning and implementation process.
- To support Linkages of IGA with national and international partners in the area of peace, development and security.
- To promote good business practices and provide the best possible services to its members on a sustainable basis.
- To collect, compile and disseminate statistical data and other information to facilitate planning and implementation process.
- To collaborate with national/regional/international partners, organizations, or bodies in order to foster mutually beneficial relationships.
The role of the Planning and Development Advisor is to be mainly provide guidance and support to IGA and related ministries on Trade and development in both local and international. The specific tasks that the adviser will undertake include:
- Support in planning and implementation of Peace and Stability Goals ;
- Build the capacity of Offices of the President and Deputy President to deliver its mandate and functions.
- Assistance in the production of policies, planning and monitoring tools(ad-hoc reports, study reports, policy reports, special reports, annual reports, commentary on the budget, etc.), including updating the socio-economic database;
- Provision of inputs to the programming work to the Emerging States project of UNDP Somalia.
- Follow-up to regional, inter-state and entire country initiatives;
- Support senior management of IGA in designing relevant opinions, directives, procedures and assistance in carrying out Government principles and policies on a strategic management, and performance improvement perspectives
- Draft IGA Strategic Plan document for two years.
The incumbent should:-
- Develop IGA development Strategy for IGA
- Establish Development Planning, implementation plan, in coordination with relevant ministries.
- Support the ministry to conduct related research and surveys in the area to facilitate planning.
- Develop capacity of the Offices of the President and Deputy President.
- Provide an inception report, monthly progress reports and a final report. The inception report should cover the strategy and methodology of the consultant to reach the objectives of the assignment. The progress reports are intend to monitor the progress of the strategy and methodology drawn in the inception phase.
- The inception report should be submitted not later than 15 working days after commencing the assignment.
- The progress reports should be submitted on a monthly basis
- The Final report should be submitted no later than 30 days after end of assignment.
Masters, University degree in Public Policy, Development planning or related disciplines.
- At least 10 years years of proven experience in research development management, programme implementation and development.
- 2-4 years relevant experience in analytical work in the field of planning, preferably with a focus on developing countries.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
- Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
- Results orientation and commitment to producing high-quality products;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 20thSeptember 2015. Please indicate ‘Technical Advisor’ as the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGEG TO APPLY
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Adaado | Mogadishu
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Closing Date: 2015-09-20