WASH Deputy Programme manager (Syria Based)
Idlib | Damascus
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idlib Governate, in close coordination with local partners, delivering food, non-food and cash voucher programming to highly vulnerable populations, and has expanded programme sectors to include the provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) to those most in need.
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme’s main priority is the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of water networks. GOAL is supporting four water utilities (Water Units) across Idlib to provide water across 150 towns and villages to 700,000 people. The majority of the rehabilitation is complete and 500,000 people are receiving water on a regular basis. GOAL’s focus is now shifting towards increasing the sustainability of the water networks by setting up a cost recovery system, thus reducing the Water Units reliance on GOAL for support.
To ensure that the provision of potable water has maximum health benefits GOAL also works to improve the hygiene and sanitation conditions in the areas that are reached with water. This is achieved through the installation of WASH facilities in IDP collective centres, implementation of solid waste management activities and promotion of good hygiene practices.
GOAL is part of a group of WASH actors in Northern Syria that work together to ensure that all projects are delivered with maximum impact. The GOAL WASH team takes an active part in the WASH networks to ensure that the sector response is the most effective and overlaps are avoided.
The Deputy Programme Manager (DPM) – Water Networks will be based in GOAL’s office in Harem/Darkosh, Syria, reporting to the WASH PM based across Darkosh and Harem, Syria. S/he will line manage the Syria-based GOAL water engineers, working in close coordination with Water Units and Local Councils.
The DPM – Water Networks is responsible for supporting the WASH PM in the planning, implementation and reporting of GOAL’s WASH activities in Northern Syria. S/he will be the technical lead in the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of water networks. S/he will also assist in the establishment of a cost recovery system. The DOM – Water Networks will support coordination, planning, monitoring and management of WASH programme activities. This will involve working closely with partners and stakeholders (in particular, Water Units and Local councils) to ensure timely and effective monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities and impact.
The DPM – Water Networks will be responsible for communicating day-to-day programme implementation and reporting activities through the designated reporting structure as defined by the WASH PM/Co.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Assist the day-to-day Implementation of activity plans as defined by the WASH PM;
- Translation of technical reports and data generated by the WASH team, ensuring effective communication within the WASH team between Syria/Turkey;
- Travel frequently to programme locations to directly monitor WASH programme activities, ensuring clear feedback is provided to field staff and / or partners on necessary changes or improvements required to ensure project activities meet stated objectives and deliver maximum benefit to targeted beneficiaries;
- Produce WASH programmes performance reports in terms of outputs against activity plans and take all-necessary action, in association with the WASH PM, to ensure the programme achieves its objectives within the allotted time and budget and to quality;
- Assist the WASH PM supporting project partners to ensure project objectives and activity plans are clearly understood and adhered to, and that agreed roles and responsibilities are met by GOAL and partners;
- Assist in programme implementation analysis to improve the quality of services provided through analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt;
- Assist the WASH PM, Logistics department and the Finance team to ensure continuous oversight and involvement at all stage of the programme cycle;
- Lead the programme procurement and liaise with the procurement department in Harim and Antakya to ensure that there are no delays in procuring and delivering WASH programme needs;
- Liaise with the M&E team on implementation of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems as well as community feedback mechanisms;
- Contribute to the design of WASH projects; ensuring these are informed by an accurate understanding of priority needs and gaps in GOALs areas of operation;
- Other related tasks at the request of the WASH PM.
- Fluency in Arabic and English language skills (spoken and written)
- Degree level qualification in engineering, public and / or environmental health or other related discipline;
- High level of technical knowledge of water networks
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience of programme implementation;
- Experience of staff management and capacity development;
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work when under pressure;
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organisations an advantage;
- Understanding of water and sanitation provision in the Syrian context.
please apply in English by sending your up-to-date CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that the job title and location of the role are clearly stated in the subject line of your email/letter. Thank you for your interest.
Only shortlisted candidates will be Contacted.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a reference check. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications equally from both men and women.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Idlib | Damascus
- Grade: Mid level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2015-09-22