Voices of Youth Engagement Coordinator
New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF’s work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability.
Web stories, blog entries, photo essays, Facebook posts, Twitter campaigns, and videos for distribution via UNICEF.org, YouTube, news media and other outlets and platforms – all are a part of our digital storytelling. By measuring and testing our efforts, we also use data to inform content and engagement choices.
DSS seeks to hire a consultant (Voices of Youth Engagement Coordinator), Social Media Team, Digital Strategy Section, responsible for the development and growth in engagement of the Voices of Youth (VOY) community and presence. The consultant leads the development of the content and resources for VOY, manages the VOY blogging programme, and leads on other youth campaigns or initiatives and key partnerships, as needed. The consultant also participates actively in the editorial process of UNICEF’s global digital feeds, proposing topics and supporting with messaging and plays a key role in supporting the development and planned implementation of the joint Adolescent and Youth Engagement Strategy.
For more information, see the attached TERMS OF REFERENCE.
- Develop and manage VOY content and engagement across all VOY digital platforms.
- Recruit and manage VOY bloggers, coordinate/edit their contributions to VOY, and grow their skills in blogging.
- Expand and develop youth media networks and effective digital distribution plans.
- Develop capacity building materials and resources for children and young people related to their expression and engagement through digital tools.
- Manage Coordinators of Spanish and French language versions of VOY.
- Assist in the technical development of the VOY platform as needed.
- Oversee the creation of a content inventory, site analytics, SEO, translation, additional sections and/or special topics and any VOY sub-sites.
- Actively participate in editorial meetings and define featured topics for platforms; ensure VOY content is regularly featured across UNICEF and partner platforms.
- Participate in relevant conferences and trainings connected to the effective use of technology and social media for online communities as part of the new Digital Strategy Section’s Center of Excellence.
- Grow knowledge of Voices of Youth and collaboration with UNICEF offices globally.
- Support other teams, divisions, Country and Regional Offices in the development of joint initiatives around VOY to educate and empower children and young people around the world.
- Support the development and the planned implementation of the joint Adolescent and Youth Engagement Strategy.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/ experience required
- 3+ years’ experience working on social media, digital marketing or editorial for an NGO, global company or publishing outlet.
- Leading knowledge of mobile and web communication technology.
- Strong awareness of youth communication behaviours in developing countries.
- Proven ability to present and communicate new projects to a varied audience.
- Proven skills in communication, networking, strategic thinking, advocacy, negotiation, and ability to relate to a young audience.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
- Proven ability to coordinate online media hubs.
- Proven ability to use platforms and social media measurement tools.
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences, including experience in writing for the web.
- Experience in reporting on qualitative and quantitative analytics.
- Bachelor Degree in social science, journalism, international affairs or communication, masters highly preferred.
- International professional experience is an asset.
- A strong understanding of UNICEF programmes and policy, including knowledge of youth participation and partnership goals, as well as sound interpretation and judgment to present these programmes and policies in a way that enhances UNICEF’s image.
- Bring evidence of success in working with social media and digital initiatives for children and young people.
- High command of English. Other languages such as Spanish and French are a plus.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com by 24 September. When sending to this mailbox, please ensure that the position you are applying for, ‘**Voices of Youth Engagement Coordinator**’, is quoted on the subject line. Applicants MUST submit their resume along with a signed and dated (not typed) UNICEF P-11. Please send details of the daily fee/rate (in USD) you are willing to accept for the performance of this job. Please state whether negotiable or non-negotiable. To download P11: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/Personal_History_P11.doc
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Social Affairs
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-09-24