Hygiene Promotion Manager
Obock | Djibouti
DRC is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. The DRC Ethiopia/Djibouti Country program focuses on emergency response, protection and livelihoods. Djibouti is a host country for refugees from across the Horn of Africa area, and especially from Somalia and Yemen. DRC is implementing different livelihood projects in Djibouti and has an active role as part of the response to the influx of refugees coming from Yemen. DRC Djibouti is as well the logistic hub for DRC Yemen to support the DRC humanitarian relief actions in Yemen.
Assessment and Program Design
- Test and provide advice on the content of all information, education and communication (IEC) materials to be used in day-to-day public health promotion (PHP) and hygiene promotion activities.
- Provide leadership and support to the hygiene team in designated geographical areas, specifically in the Obock prefecture and Markazi refugee camp, and regularly update assessments of the public health and hygiene situation of targeted beneficiaries.
- Produce and update analyses of key hygiene and public health issues in the Obock prefecture and Markazi refugee camp as regards Yemeni refugees, particularly with regular knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) surveys and with key recommendations to problems identified.
- Develop hygiene promotion activities for refugee populations, which target specific demographic groups/populations (such as children, women, men, disabled, etc.), and that include interventions like NFI distributions, awareness-raising campaigns, Child-to-Child activities, health clubs, and focus group discussions (FGDs).
- Plan and oversee hygiene and/or sanitation construction activities in the Markazi camp and ensure quality deliverables at all times, as per agreed design.
- Support the hygiene team to carry out program implementation activities within the parameters of the public health needs for Yemeni refugees in Obock prefecture and other places, as directed.
- Monitor the impact and effectiveness of hygiene and PHP activities and observe and report upon evolving humanitarian needs of the Yemeni refugee population in Djibouti.
- Assist the WASH technical team and DRC management to analyze, make links between, and make recommendations for actions regarding hygiene implementation, public health engineering, and public health promotion.
- Ensure that all hygiene programming takes account of gender, disabilities, and HIV issues in design, implementation, and evaluation phases.
- Ensure that an empowering, rights-based approach to working with communities is employed throughout the hygiene and WASH programs to assist Yemeni refugees.
- Make sure that all members of the community are involved in all aspects of the program implementation, from planning to evaluation.
- Promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and ensure that DRC’s hygiene response is in line with the needs of the affected people.
- Ensure that hygiene and PHP activities meet or exceed SPHERE and DRC Minimum Standards and adhere to DRC emergency guidelines and protocols.
- Raise awareness and build capacity of DRC staff in adhering to internal and international humanitarian standards.
Program Planning, Coordination, and Reporting
- Develop logistics, procurement, and monitoring plans in close coordination with the Area Manager.
- Produce concise work plans dividing roles and responsibilities among hygiene team members.
- As part of an integrated team, contribute towards planning, monitoring and evaluating progress of agreed activities of the program in the designated geographical area.
- Provide regular verbal and written reports to the Area Manager on a regular basis, frequency of such reports to be defined by the Area Manager.
- Develop new proposals and contribute to donor reports in relevant areas of expertise.
- Work with relevant support staff to ensure timely procurement and distribution of NFIs such as bathing soap.
- Report the relevant hygiene and PHP and actions taken to the Area Manager and relevant DRC staff.
- Attend the relevant coordination meetings in Obock, Djibouti-Ville, and elsewhere as appropriate.
- Provide technical coordination of field teams to ensure coherent and consistent programming with other WASH actors.
- Act as a DRC representative with local authorities, traditional structures, and the community in areas related to hygiene and PHP work, and as otherwise directed.
- Ensure DRC policies, procedures and standards are implemented accountably and transparently in all of DRC’s work.
- Act as part of the WASH cluster coordination team and the WASH refugee working group team contributing to planning, evaluation and problem solving, as well as part of broader DRC Ethiopia/Djibouti team.
- Facilitate hygiene promotion trainings for all Social Mobilization and Hygiene Promotion staff, and develop a training curriculum for the refugee community outreach agents.
- Provide day-to-day management of the hygiene team, including but not limited to performance management, recruitment, scheduling team leave appropriately, and any other function involved in team management.
- Assess designated hygiene team capacity level and suggest areas of improvement to the Area Manager.
They Hygiene Promotion Manager will report to the Area Manager, Djibouti
Contract: Three months’ contract, with possibility of extension.
Other employment conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates recruited by the Horn of Africa and Yemen Regional Office. This position is rated as A12 on the DRC salary scale available at www.drc.dk.
Availability: October 2015
Duty Station: Obock, Djibouti
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline relating to public health and/or hygiene.
- Knowledge, at the professional level, of any of the following areas: public health, hygiene promotion, community development, education, and/or community water supply and sanitation.
- A minimum of five (5) years practical experience in developing countries in hygiene promotion programs, including in emergency relief programs.
- A good understanding of the hygiene and/or public health needs of poor rural and urban communities, especially communities impacted by displacement, and of appropriate ways of tackling them.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the particular needs of women in this context.
- Diplomacy, tact and administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial levels.
- Strong planning, organizational, reporting, and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough understanding of and experience using international humanitarian codes of conduct and minimum standards, especially UNHCR and SPHERE standards.
- Experience using participatory approaches to program implementation and strengthening capacity throughout the project cycle.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, etc.) and specialized software in the WASH sector.
- Excellent team building, coaching, and mentoring skills, including good presentation, communication, and representation skills.
- Team and project management experience, including budget management.
- Fluent in written and spoken French.
- Strong professional capabilities in written and spoken English.
Application and CV
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk**under vacancies no later than 19 September, 2015.**
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Obock | Djibouti
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Operations and Administrations
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2015-09-19