Director of Programme Development and Quality
Erbil | Baghdad
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 12 months
Director of Programme Development and Quality shares with the Operations Director the responsibility for the direction and coordination of the country program. S/he champions a team culture of learning and continuous improvement and is responsible for overseeing development of programme strategies to deliver immediate and lasting change for children. S/he manages a team focused on providing technical support, designing and funding, monitoring, evaluating, and learning from the existing activities. The DPDQ is delegated by the Country Director to supervise specific advocacy and communications campaigns.
Qualifications and experience
- Masters' degree in Social Sciences, in an area of social development
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in an NGO environment, including experience directing and and coordinating programs both emergency and development contexts
- Experience in more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: education; child protection; child rights governance; health and nutrition; food security and livelihoods; emergencies.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a complex international setting
- Significant experience leading strategic planning and in programme design and proposal development
- Ability to effectively establish a learning culture within an organisation
- Experience in successfully establishing and managing collaborative relationships and partnerships with donors and government counterparts.
- Strong representation and influencing skills
- Experience of management of diverse workforce including effective performance management and utilisation of capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children's aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Strong understanding of different methodologies of monitoring and evaluation and operational research and experience in developing integrated MEAL systems
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Language skills in Arabic or Kurdish
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in the Middle East.
- Specific experience of designing and managing DFID, ECHO and UNICEF projects
- Specific experience of designing and managing consortia projects
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'email@example.com'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Disaster Management
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-09-30