Programme Support Officer
Juba (South Sudan)
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Sudan since 1985. Initially GOAL’s activities in southern Sudan took the form of short term emergency interventions, but 1998, with the opening of a permanent base in Twic County, Warrap State, saw a move to longer term interventions. GOAL South Sudan currently operates programmes in Twic County, Warrap State; Baliet, Maiwut, Melut and Ulang Counties, Upper Nile State (UNS), and Agok in the Abyei Administrative Area (AAA).GOAL South Sudan’s interventions have expanded in recent years to include a more integrated approach to improved living standards for host, IDP and returnee populations, including, curative primary health care, health promotion and behaviour change, therapeutic nutrition, food security and livelihoods (FSL) and water, sanitation and hygiene promotion (WASH) interventions.
GOAL works in areas that have been directly and indirectly affected by the conflict that beset the nation in December 2015. GOAL’s response can be therefore be categorised as recovery (Twic County, Warrap State and adjoining Agok, AAA) and humanitarian (Baliet, Maiwut, Melut and Ulang Counties, UNS).
Operational areas in the recovery phase have been affected by decades of civil war with Sudan which resulted in severe disruption to education, little or no infrastructural development, limited public services and poor communication links. The situation is further exasperated by the lack of resolution over who should govern AAA and this renders the region vulnerable to sudden conflict and displacement. Development gains made since the signing of the CPA and subsequent independence of South Sudan and rapidly been negated by the current civil war and this has hindered movement from the recovery to development stage.
In UNS, GOAL has expanded its geographical focus and programmes to respond to the humanitarian crisis. GOAL continues to programme where security and access permit and has remained flexible in its approach. During times of peak conflict, programmes go into hibernation and as are then rapidly scaled up when security and access permit.
General Description of the Role:
The overall objective of the post is to provide support to GOAL’s South Sudan programme both at head office (Juba) and field level. The Programme Support Officer (PSO) reports to the Programmes Coordinator (PC) and works closely with the relevant technical coordinators on proposal development and donor reporting. The post will involve regular travel to field sites (approximately 30%). Due to the complexity of GOAL South Sudan’s programme, the PSO will be assigned two of the following sectors based on his/her previous experience and interest; health, nutrition, FSL or WASH. GOAL South Sudan has a plethora of donors with most grants being short-term in nature. Therefore, the PSO will be assigned specific grants and will be responsible to coordinating with the Technical Coordinators in their proposal and report development.
Donor Proposals and Reports
- Coordinate the development of quality donor proposals, facilitating input from the programme coordinators, field teams, finance, HR, logistics and other relevant departments;
- Coordinate the development and timely submission of donor reports, programme reports to Dublin, Cluster reports and other reports or updates as needed.
- Provide a monthly update on the status of all grants under his/her remit including the provision of proposals and reports to field and management teams.
- Coordinate grant management meetings (grant opening, midterm review and closing) including scheduling, documentation provision, recording and dissemination of action points and minutes to the management. and field teams.
- In collaboration with the Programmes Coordinator and Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Coordinator (MEAL Co), support the mainstreaming of HIV, gender, the environment and Child Protection in their relevant sectors
- Conduct programmes inductions for new members of staff as required
- Support the ACD-Programmes in strategy and programme development
- Provide quarterly analysis of programme output in their relevant sector by site and county to Technical Coordinators and the MEAL team
- Work with relevant technical coordinators to develop mechanisms for improve integration between different sectors and develop indicators to monitor same.
- Maintain and update proposal and reporting calendar ensuring all concerned are aware of the reporting schedule and their specific roles
- Maintain all grant related material in the programmes folder according their grant portfolio including proposals, reports, donor correspondence, and grant management meeting minutes, activity and procurement plans and other relevant documents/files.
- Coordinate the development/update of programme overviews/presentations, success stories, etc.
Representation and Networking
- As agreed with the ACD-Programmes, represent GOAL South Sudan as appropriate at external forums (UN Cluster meetings, NGO Forum etc)
- Degree or post-graduate qualification ideally with a specialisation in development, humanitarian aid, social sciences or another relevant field in health, nutrition, FSL and WASH
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English
- Familiarity and ideally one year’s experience with proposal writing, logical framework development and donor reporting (Irish Aid, ECHO, DFID, OFDA, UN agencies etc)
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Word and Excel with ability to analyse data and interpret statistical information
- Ability to work under pressure, and prioritise workload according to the changing needs of the programme
- Experience of humanitarian, relief and/or development programmes an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team, and a commitment to capacity building
- Enthusiastic, flexible and with the ability to work long hours in sometimes remote and/or insecure contexts to meet the needs of the programme
- Understanding of mainstreaming principles, including gender, HIV, Disaster Risk Reduction and conflict sensitivity
- Experience/knowledge of South Sudan desirable
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Juba (South Sudan)
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2015-11-02