Director of Administration and Finance - Papua New Guinea
Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing. There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a motley group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The responsibilities of the Director of Admin and Finance (DAF) are crafted to respond to our growing operation in Papua New Guinea (PSI/PNG). This person will be responsible for the effective management of all project budgets, including but not limited to, timely and accurate donor and PSI/Washington financial and administrative reporting. This persons will also be responsible for broadening and strengthening the capacity of the growing finance team at PSI/PNG to provide high quality project budgeting, budget management, financial planning & analysis, and cost control at every level of the organization. The position will additionally be responsible for the smooth operation of all office administration and human resources including overall adherence to internal HR manual. This full-time position is based in Port Moresby and will require up to 10% travel to visit program implementation sites in the field. This position is also key member of the Senior Management Team at PSI/PNG and reports to the PSI/PNG Country Representative.
The DAF will be selected based on knowledge of budget management and financial analysis; ability to work effectively with, train, and develop finance staff in a cross-cultural setting; strong quantitative skills; the ability to liaise and work closely with staff across departments; and excellent interpersonal skills.
Sound like you? Read on.
Strategic management role
- Provide direction and strategic leadership for organizational change and development process;
- Managing accounting system:
- Establish/improve and disseminate finance policies, guidelines, systems and practices in line with PSI Washington's global accounting policies, donor requirements and local law where required;
- Maintain sound accounting systems that give reasonable assurance that records and controls are sufficient to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial information for expenditure monitoring and information;
- Analyse monthly balance sheet, income statement and reconciliations to establish accuracy of posted transactions.
- Review and analyze Monthly financial reports and ensure timely submission of monthly financial reports to PSI/W, donors and partners;
- Review and analyze donor billing prepared by PSI/W or PSI/PNG and provide feedback to finance team and budget holders through monthly financial reports and respond to donors on billing issues.
- Review/Approve monthly common cost analysis and update cost ratios on timely basis to ensure each donor bears the correct proportion of common costs.
- Endorse requests for cash advances from headquarters, manage cash flow in the country office and maintain relationships with local banks.
- Overseeing monthly preparation and submission of statutory returns, donor reports and tax compliance.
- Manage transition from QuickBook to QuickBook Enterprise in the platform.
- Lead the annual budgeting process and ownership of managerial financial information;
- Support budget development and monitoring. Work with the Country Representative, Program Team, Technical Services Team and Washington Backstopping Team to: create funder, departmental and annual operating budgets; to monitor burn rates; and to realign budgets as needed.
- Monitor performance and efficiency of on-going Donor projects by analyzing country/project monthly spend rates and highlighting possible problem areas.
- Managing Audit
- Lead and initiate audit RFP and engagement with audit firm for annual audit, donor audit and statutory audit when required
- Oversee preparation and successful conclusion of internal and external auditing activities
- Monitor progress on work plans for implementation of audit recommendations from internal and external audits;
- Ensure that sub-awardees comply with funder regulations and financial reporting requirements;
- Determine and provide capacity building assistance to sub-awardee according to SR assessment
- Develop Sub recipient monitoring visit plan in line with PSI/W guidance and funder requirement
- Liaise with our HQ at Washington for training, reporting, problem-solving, systems issues and other needs as may arise;
- Overseeing logistic department and processes as per policies
- Master's degree in accounting or finance preferred
- Certified or chartered accountant
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, including 5 years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of Global Fund rules and regulations
- Knowledge and experience with international donor community;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability and motivation to build local capacity and/or train others;
- Experience working in developing countries and/or situations of cultural or political sensitivity;
- Excellent diplomatic, presentation, interpersonal and oral/written communication skills; and
- Fluency in English (written and spoken);
- Flexibility is mandatory;
The successful candidate will have strong knowledge of budget management and financial analysis; ability to work effectively with, train, and develop finance staff in a cross-cultural setting; strong quantitative skills; the ability to liaise and work closely with staff across departments; and excellent interpersonal skills. Preference will be given to candidates with developing country experience, preferably in the Asia-Pacific region; and knowledge of public health issues and the international donor community.
- Level 6
Please apply online at www.psi.org by October 20, 2015.
Population Services International is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender identity, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Organization: PSI - Population Services International
- Location: Port Moresby
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2015-10-17