Chief of Party, Darfur Monitoring Project
Khartoum | Sudan
OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Position Title: Chief of Party, Darfur Monitoring Project
Duty Station : Khartoum, Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date: October 02, 2015
Reference Code: VN2015/92(P)-EXT
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM has a proactive recruitment policy to increase the representation of nationals of non- represented member states. Qualified applicants from the following countries will be favorably considered:
Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Czech Republic, Comoros, Djibouti, El Salvador, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guyana, Holy See, Iceland, Israel, Lesotho, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Montenegro, Micronesia, Mongolia, Namibia, Nauru, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Republic of Congo, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Somalia, Suriname, Swaziland, Tanzania, Timor Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Together with Management Systems International, IOM has been implementing the Darfur Monitoring Project (hereinafter after referred to as ‘the project’) on behalf of the Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) since April 2015. The project seeks to increase OFDA’s access to independent verifiable data related to the quantity, quality, and progress of OFDA-funded programs in Darfur. The project is currently monitoring the WASH and Health sectors within South and West Darfur.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Preparedness and Response, the Chief of Party will lead all functions of the project and work closely with the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Officer to ensure compatibility of the project with the DTM.
\*Core Functions / Responsibilities:*****
- Supervise the project’s staff in Khartoum and the field. Coordinate the project’s start-up and close-out, including the associated staffing and logistical components. Ensure timely recruitment and training of qualified staff and procurement of relevant equipment and services.
- Plan and supervise all activities of the project and ensure its smooth implementation. Coordinate with sub-offices in the Field, prepare reports for internal and external distribution, and ensure continuous compliance with donor requirements, contractual provisions, work plans, and agreed-upon deliverables. Ensure timely delivery to OFDA of all agreed-upon objectives.
- Monitor and approve project expenditures, contracts, and procurement. Manage day-to-day project finances in coordination with relevant staff in the Field and Headquarters.
- Oversee operational planning for each month, including selection of project sites and feasibility of established timelines. Ensure risks to the project’s staff and facilities are mitigated to the extent possible.
- Ensure full compliance with IOM Rules and Regulations and programmatic and administrative Instructions, guidelines, and standards.
- Liaise regularly with Management System International’s technical director responsible for the project to determine scheduling and implementation priorities and to coordinate relevant communications to OFDA and implementing partners.
- Act as the day-to-day liaison with OFDA and other donors in the country. Present findings to the donor and liaise with implementing partners in the country. Ensure appropriate communication by project staff in the Field with implementing partners. Together with the DTM Officer, liaise with the government on the implementation of the project and troubleshoot any issues affecting its implementation.
- Perform such duties as may be assigned.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
\*Required Qualifications and Experience*****
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, International Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with eight years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with ten years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in third-party monitoring, monitoring and evaluation, and/or information management;
- Experience in data management and analysis;
- Experience in managing complex projects and supervising Professional and General Service staff;
- Experience in programme formulation, implementation, and evaluation;
- Experience in complex and post-conflict humanitarian emergencies at the international level;
- Experience liaising with government authorities and other national and international institutions;
- Experience working in the region and specifically in Sudan an advantage;
- Experience implementing USAID contracts an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by October 02, 2015 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 18.09.2015 to 02.10.2015
Requisition: VN 2015/92 (P) - Chief of Party, Darfur Monitoring Project (P4) - Khartoum, Sudan (54686115) Released
Posting: VN 2015/92 (P) - Chief of Party, Darfur Monitoring Project (P4) - Khartoum, Sudan (54686118) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Khartoum | Sudan
- Grade: Senior
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2015-10-02