Community Development Manager
Plan International is a global organization that works side by side with communities in 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities and range from clean water and healthcare programs to education projects, economic empowerment, child protection initiatives and youth civic engagement. Across program areas, Plan’s activities are guided by a Child-Centered Community Development (CCCD) approach, which is rights-based, holistic, gender-sensitive, and inclusive.
Plan is seeking applicants for a proposed Community Development Manager for the anticipated Community Led Development (CLD) project in Guatemala. The Community Development Specialist will serve as the project’s full-time technical lead for Community-Based Development activities. The CLD project will be a $50 million USAID-funded flagship rural community-based development project concentrated in the Western Highlands of Guatemala. The project will focus on empowering citizens of the Western Highlands to identify and address their own development needs through a rigorous community-based development (CBD) approach. The project will engage Guatemalan private sector entities (in the Western Highlands and at the national level) and includes a 1:1 leverage requirement.
Position Description and Responsibilities
The Community Development Manager will be responsible for leading the CBD process to develop and implement Community Development Plans in communities in the Western highlands. Key personnel will oversee staff that provides hands-on technical support to communities through Plan development and implementation. They will also be responsible for effective monitoring and evaluation of the CBD process to ensure the project inclusivity of women, indigenous, poor, youth, and other marginalized groups.
This position is contingent upon award of the project by the donor.
Key Qualifications and Skills
· Degree in Social Sciences, International Development or a related field; Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
· Progressively responsible, relevant experience working within the Community Development sector in Guatemala; Experience working with marginalized groups (women, indigenous, poor, youth and other marginalized populations) in the Western Highlands highly preferred.
· Significant experience in relevant program management or technical advisory roles in complex Community Development projects in South America. Experience in Guatemala will be highly preferred.
· Expertise in Education, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Livelihoods, or Civil Society Engagement fields preferred.
· Knowledge of community-level challenges impacting education, health, and civil society engagement delivery in Guatemala, preferably in the Western Highlands.
· Experience with USAID-funded projects (ideally, in a senior technical position) highly preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge about gender and development, and demonstrated experience and proficiency in managing programs that mainstream gender.
· Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies that employ evidence-based approaches to meet project targets, especially under rigorous timelines.
· Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, and international staff.
· Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams.
· Fluency in Spanish and English required.
Plan is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Further, Qualified Guatemalan nationals, including those living in the diaspora, are additionally highly encouraged to apply.
To apply please send a cover letter, and resume in English to our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants who fail to meet the application criteria may be disqualified. The deadline for applications is September 27th, 2015. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: Plan - USA
- Location: Guatemala City
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Social studies
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Civil Society
- Closing Date: 2015-09-28