Decision support advisor
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Chemonics seeks a decision support advisor for the USAID-funded Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) activity. FEWS NET collaborates with international, regional, and national partners to provide timely and rigorous food security and early warning analysis of potential, emerging and/or evolving food security issues. After identifying issues, FEWS NET uses a suite of communications and decision support products to help decision-makers act to prevent or mitigate food insecurity. These products include regular food security outlooks and updates for countries covered by FEWS NET, alerts for countries or areas of particular concern, and briefings and support to contingency and response planning efforts. The FEWS NET Decision Support Group (DSG) aims to provide decision makers with timely and high-quality early warning and food security analysis to mitigate food insecurity and prevent famine. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Assure production and delivery of high-quality, targeted, regular and ad hoc decision support products, such as Food Security Outlooks (FSOs), Outlook updates, alerts, and briefings, for more than 30 countries.
- Oversee FEWS NET's regular and ad hoc decision support to USAID, particularly in Washington, as well as to other food security stakeholders
- Inform and support response and contingency planning processes; ensure that FEWS NET decision support identifies potential food insecurity and/or emerging crises as early as possible to support strategic decision-making and resource-allocation processes, especially within USAID
- Inform and provide technical assistance in contingency and response planning for USAID and for food security networks in FEWS NET countries
- Provide guidance on and build capacity related to decision support including, developing decision support and communications strategies and providing remote or in-person sessions for staff on how FEWS NET produces its decision support and what FEWS NET decision support includes
- Manage DSG staff and carry out group administration, including mentoring staff and ensuring the professional development of each member of the DSG
- Graduate degree in food security or disaster management-related area or equivalent experience
- At least five years of relevant experience in food security, humanitarian and/or development assistance, contingency and response planning, and decision support required; overseas and management experience highly desired
- Significant experience with early warning analysis required
- Detailed knowledge of, and experience with, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) required
- Experience with USAID Washington and field operations, programs, policies, and procedures required
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills, including geographic information system (GIS)
- At least two years of work experience in a developing country context preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in written and spoken French or Spanish preferred
Send electronic submissions to FEWSNETDSA@chemonics.com by October 9, 2015. Please include "decision support advisor" in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
In addition, please download and complete Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification formand submit it separately to EEOselfidentify@chemonics.comwith only "decision support advisor - FEWS NET" in the subject line. If you prefer not to disclose your sex, race, or ethnicity, you may check “I do not wish to complete the information requested.” Thank you for completing the form and supporting our equal employment opportunity reporting requirements.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
- Organization: Chemonics
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-10-09