Project Engineer (2)
Overall Technical Support to on-going school construction projects, from their planning to their implementation and monitoring.
The Project Engineers will be in charge of the day to day management and oversight, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructure works to achieve the programme goals and objectives. S/He will furthermore be accountable for providing technical assistance to the GPE Engineer, including inputs to the development of construction strategies as well as policies for the maintenance of the infrastructure.
The two Project Engineers will be required to undertake regular field monitoring visits to the schools where GPEP school construction is ongoing. These include all 20 schools (five in each state) in Western Equatoria, Warrap, Lakes and Northern Behr El Ghazal States.
Additionally, the Project Engineers will be required to support the rolling out and monitoring of the Educate a Child (EAC) Project, which will be implemented in 80 counties across the whole country through the existing government systems.
Objectives and Scope of Works
Under the overall supervision of the GPE Manager and the direct supervision of the GPE Engineer, the main responsibilities of the two Project Engineers will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide overall technical assistance to UNICEF construction projects (both GPE and EAC), from planning to implementation and monitoring;
- Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision tools are developed and implemented;
- Responsible to ensure effective quality control and assurance systems are in place and contractor and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and UNICEF quality standards;
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers;
- Ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely and included in project proposals and budgets;
- Support the Supply section in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services;
- Provide oversight for overall progress and use of resources;
- Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved;
- Prepare interim - final project and handover reports and maintain the relevant project records.
- Manage project budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time;
- Coordinate with Operations and programmes required activities ensuring proper and timely actions from both, UNICEF’s and Government’s side;
- Certify disbursements of funds, monitor and submit financial status reports to management in compliance with the pre-established requirements; and
- Ensure a sound handing over of facilities to project beneficiaries.
i.Successful completion of bidding processes for all target school sites for both GPE and EAC school construction projects;
ii.Successful monitoring and oversight of school construction works from beginning to completion as delegated;
iii.Timely submission of monitoring and oversight reports; and
iv.Timely review of technical documents submitted by both the contractors and the consultants and make recommendations for UNICEF’s action. Such documents shall include, but not be limited to designs, interim payment requests, and technical reports. Assessment of the works to make sure that the deliverables in all construction contracts have been met.
Expected background (Qualifications & Experience)
The successful candidates must have proven experience providing similar design and construction monitoring oversight roles in the past five years in Sub-Sahara Africa or similar developing country or countries. Specifically, the successful candidates are expected to have the following experiences, skills, knowledge and qualifications:
- A university degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or Building Construction.
- At least five years of post-qualification professional work experience in construction with a focus on buildings construction management.
iii. Experience in working in complex and challenging environments and large infrastructure and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision, especially in an emergency setting.
iv.Knowledge of construction procurement, tendering and contracting processes and requirements.
v.Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of construction projects; methodological and calculation skills; familiarity with design software such as AutoCAD and or ArchiCAD.
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience in community mobilization, coupled with the ability to address and manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction project.
ix. Knowledge of the UN rules, procedures and regulations would be an asset.
x. Working experience in the UN or other large international development organization is an asset.
The successful candidate must be fully computer literate in word processing, spreadsheets and database management; and fluent in the written and spoken use of the contract language, which is English. The Consultant must have good experience in working with design software such as CAD.
Consultancy payments will be on a monthly basis – triggered by the submission and approval of a monthly report which documents progress of each school site as well as updates on specific delegated responsibilities.
The level of remuneration will be determined by UNICEF Human Resources Unit in Juba and negotiated with the successful candidate(s) before commencement of the contract.
Applications will be evaluated based on following criteria:
Technical & Financial Criteria
- Overall responsiveness to TOR requirements including availability: 20
- Experience and qualifications: 50
- Financial Criteria (Monthly Rate)**30**
General Conditions (Important):
- Transport and Daily Subsistence Allowance will be provided to the International Consultant during official field travel according to UNICEF’s rule and regulation;
- A work station in UNICEF office premise will be provided to each consultant;
· The consultants will not be provided lodging and/or meals;
· Consultants are not entitled to payment of overtime;
- No contract may commence unless UNICEF and the consultant have signed the contract;
- No travel takes place without a signed UNICEF travel authorization prior to start of the journey to/from duty station;
- Additional details of UNICEF rules, regulations and conditions will be attached to the contract;
- Each Consultant must perform the work using own resources, including CAD software and laptop/computer, as UNICEF will not provide neither such software nor hardware which is required for successful completion of the deliverables stated above
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that they forward the following documents on or before 07th October 2015.
a. Sample of previous similar work produced
b. Application letter outlining why they are suitable
c. Curriculum Vitae
d. Signed P11 form (downloaded from :http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc),
The Human Resources Manager
UNICEF South Sudan Country Office
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications submitted without a fee/ rate will not be considered. Please also note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Juba
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2015-10-07