Director of Country Operations (COMU)
The Director of Country Operations has primary responsibility for ensuring that MSH operations in Haiti are efficient and effective, in compliance with MSH standards, donor regulations and local laws and support attainment of project results and client expectations.The COMU Director is part of the Country Leadership Team and is responsible to manage finance and operations risk. The COMU Director manages the budget for all country operations activities.
- Develop and execute responsive and appropriate operations management systems (for office management, local procurement, fleet management and logistics, consultant etc.) in line with local laws and regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements.
- Monitor local security risks and maintain an emergency and security plan, including emergency preparedness and strategies for maintaining operations.
- Lead and manage the operations functions by aligning staffing and systems with country projects and available resources to provide timely, cost effective, complaint and high quality support and administrative services to all MSH country-based projects and activities.
- Ensure that all MSH in-country projects receive equitable, effective, timely, cost-effective, and high‐quality financial management, accounting, operations and administrative support to all MSH in-country projects, in full compliance with local laws and available resources, and in an environment with adequate internal controls, adherence to contract/award regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Manage shared costs country budget and monitor costs against budget.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Operations Officer and country OST to achieve resolution of pending operations issues, questions and home office operations support requests. Communicate with other MSH HQ-based parties (Centers, projects, corporate offices), as needed to ensure proper consultation and notification of important information and issues.
Compliance and Risk management
- Ensure that strong internal control systems are in place, and that MSH Code of Conduct and MSH’s Zero Tolerance practice are well understood by all staff in country.
- Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, comply with the terms and conditions of contract/award and donor requirements, local law, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures. Systems are in place to:
- Ensure that appropriate staff members are aware of and understand laws, contract/award and donor requirements, and MSH policies and procedures.
- Monitor compliance.
- Ensure appropriate segregation of duty in all procurement and payment activities from initiation to final payment and documentation within all MSH offices in country.
- Assist Country Representative/Country Lead to conduct regular and thorough operational risk assessments in country, and to monitor success of risk mitigation and risk control activities.
- Coordinate execution of financial reviews or audits, and ensure timely follow up to review or audit conclusions and recommendations in close collaboration with the OST and HQ’s subject matter experts.
Financial Management services
- In coordination with Atlas FP&A staff,
- Ensure that all project and country teams receive high quality, accurate and timely financial support (budgeting and forecasting, financial analysis, financial monitoring and reporting).
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of financial reports and other related information as needed.
- Ensure that appropriate Service Level Agreement (SLA) is in place between the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU), projects, corporate offices and centers, and that the SLA is well understood and respected.
- Partner with MSH’s Atlas Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) unit in HQ to ensure proper financial management oversight and control.
- Ensure, in compliance with MSH policies and procedures and with Country legal requirements:
- That payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely.
- That treasury practices in country minimize MSH’s cash exposure, including foreign currency exchange.
- That entries are entered into accounting system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that all cash, liability and advance accounts are reconciled routinely and that variances and advance delinquencies are addressed promptly.
- That month-end and year-end close processes are followed timely and accurately, per established deadlines and in compliance with MSH policies and procedures.
Procurement and Purchasing
- Manage purchase of commercial goods and services in accordance with the delegation from the Corporate Contract Office in HQ.
- Manage procurement actions delegated to COMU staff.
- Assist with customs and Import control and to specific requests from the Logistics Management and Trade Compliance Officer in the Corporate Contract Office
- Determine local consultant rates in accordance with the delegation from the Corporate Contract Office. Manage local consultant agreements.
- Manage the completion of project and country procurement plans in coordination with the assigned OST procurement staff from HQ.
- Ensure strong internal controls are implemented for procurement. Monitor procurement transactions completed by COMU staff.
- Partner with the OST procurement staff from MSH’s Corporate Procurement unit in HQ to ensure proper procurement oversight and control.
- Provide stakeholder feedback on SOPS, policies, tools and templates developed by HQ for procurement.
- Where applicable, manage VAT exemptions or refunds and donor reporting of VAT payments and credits.
- Provide administrative supervision to all COMU staff and is accountable for their performance management.
- Assess staff capacity and determine needs for staff capacity building and development to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the COMU in country, including in satellite offices.
- Assess and adapt COMU size and composition to allow efficient and effective operations, as needed.
- Work with the Country Representative/Country Lead and Project Directors to ensure that human resource functions are coordinated with the Human Resources Partner/Manager for Haiti and US MSH Human Resources Management office.
- Promote and facilitate development of COMU staff and sustainable systems, and participate in international cross-fertilization and knowledge exchange among other country operations groups.
Facilities and Office Services
- Manage MSH offices and facilities, including lease negotiations and property insurance, where required.
- Manage general office services, including cleaning and maintenance.
- Manage Information Services.
- Oversee property and asset management, including maintaining inventories and asset registers.
- Oversee obtainment of local insurance as required, inspection, registration and operations for all MSH vehicles in country.
- Oversee dispatching and scheduling of shared MSH vehicles and drivers or commercial transportation.
In-Country travel and Logistics Services
- Coordinate and oversee travel payments and logistics for all MSH in-country travel.
- Manage and monitor lodging, transportation, per diem and associated payments, including those related to participant training, study tours, in-country events and workshops.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in business administration, financial management, accounting, or other relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience required. Mid to senior level experience managing operations in organizations of similar scale as MSH required.
- Demonstrated success and familiarity experience in developing countries required, and in Haiti strongly preferred.
- Experience working for international organizations with US Government funding strongly preferred.
- Prior work experience with non-USG, foundations, and other donors a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong leadership, mentoring, management, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Strong conceptualization, facilitation, and planning skills.
- Excellent demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills. Excellent cross-cultural communication and active listening skills.
- Deep knowledge of effective management practices that lead to reliable internal controls and compliance with donor regulations, local laws and MSH policies and procedures required.
- Fluency in English and dominant language of Haiti required.
- Navigating the Environment:
- Managing through Systems, Peer Relationships, Political Savvy.
- Ensuring Delivery of Results:
- Action Oriented, Business Acumen, Drive for Results, Information Sharing, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Priority setting, Problem Solving.
- Leading with Credibility:
- Decision Quality, Functional/Technical skills, Listening, Managerial Courage, Time Management, Presentation skills, Motivating others, Conflict Management, Delegation, Developing Direct Reports and Others.
- Core Personal Competencies:
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Interpersonal Savvy.
- Core MSH competencies:
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Visit the MSH website to APPLY!
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Port-au-Prince (Haiti)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-11-30
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Gaza (Palestinian Territory)