Regional Advocacy and Campaigns Director
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 2 years
The role Campaigning and advocacy are central to Save the Children's theory of change and to achieving our ambitious goals for children, working through our global campaign to save children's lives, our humanitarian work and our Global Initiatives. Generating and marshalling evidence (including from our own programme experience); lobbying with policy makers and decision makers; fostering an enabling environment through utilization of social media, media and public avenues; are all essential parts of our influencing 'toolkit'. Most of our campaigns and advocacy activities in East and Southern Africa are delivered nationally in the twelve countries we work (Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique and Rwanda), but also specific work with various Regional Economic Communities under the Regional and multi-country programme unit (RMCPU).
A dedicated regional campaigns and advocacy capacity is essential to help catalyse and coordinate this. Your role would be critical to ensure that Country Programmes are technically and strategically participating at the optimum level to influence at scale. In order to support our country offices to do effective advocacy and campaigns, this post-holder will be expected to play an important support role in developing and implementing advocacy strategies with CO while participating in the development of the campaigns direction in the region.
You will take lead responsibility for working with the East and Southern Africa region to deliver the advocacy and campaigns elements of Save the Children's strategy whilst also developing and driving the regional specific advocacy and campaign strategy.
In collaboration with regional advocacy leads for West and Central Africa and Southern Africa, and our AU advocacy office in Addis Ababa; you will ensure a pan-African advocacy voice for and with children.
Qualifications and experience
- Strong background in advocacy leadership at a senior level, including policy development and the ability to link programmes with advocacy work.
- Experience in engaging the public in campaigns, including the ability to identify "campaignable" objectives within the policy goals, and to plan and evaluate campaign activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate influence and negotiate both internally and externally.
- Sound understanding of the major economic, social development and poverty issues in Africa.
- Experience of building, leading and developing colleagues and staff with different backgrounds and expertise. Cultural sensitivity, with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure. Excellent training, facilitation, and team building skills. Innovative and creative approach to problem solving. Able to lead by example.
- Experience of building personal networks at senior levels, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Fluent English essential; other regional languages desirable
- Experience of travel, and a willingness to travel in a broad range of African countries and more widely, sometimes at short notice
- Demonstrated understanding of news media and experience of acting as a spokesperson.
- Experience in leading the creation and implementation of a strategy, demonstrating the ability to identify the necessary steps towards an ambitious goal.
Familiarity with social media to achieve policy changes an advantage. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: N/A - Level not specified
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Education, Learning and Training
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-10-13