Technical Director - Haiti, Petionville (Fluency in Haitian Creole, French and English)
Pétionville | Port-au-Prince
The Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP) is a global, USAID Cooperative Agreement operating in 24 high priority countries to introduce and support high-impact health interventions with the ultimate goal of ending preventable child and maternal deaths within a generation. The Program is focused on ensuring that all women, newborns and children most in need have equitable access to quality health care services to save lives. USAID’s MCSP supports programming in maternal, newborn and child health, immunization, family planning and reproductive health, nutrition, health systems strengthening, water/sanitation/hygiene, malaria, prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis, and pediatric HIV care and treatment. USAID’s MCSP engages governments, policymakers, private sector leaders, health care providers, civil society, faith-based organizations and communities in adopting and accelerating proven approaches to address the major causes of maternal, newborn and child mortality such as postpartum hemorrhage, birth asphyxia and diarrhea, respectively, and improve the quality of health services, from household to hospital.
USAID’s Maternal and Child Survival Program in Haiti is hiring a Technical Director who will closely supervise MCSP Haiti’s technical team. The Technical Director will report to the Chief of Party. This person will be responsible for guiding and overseeing the technical and strategic direction of MCSP/Haiti’s Maternal and Child Survival Program in Haiti.
- Provide programmatic leadership for, and oversee the strategic planning of activities in support of the program goals and objectives, including the determination of program priorities, prioritization of technical assistance needs, development of realistic and effective action plans and appropriate technical initiatives for meeting those needs
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for the implementation of USAID’s MCSP/Haiti, including meeting operational targets and achieving or exceeding performance objectives
- Ensure that approaches are technically sound and effective at impacting coverage and quality of maternal, newborn, and child care services
- Coordinate the work of all MCSP technical team members, the Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP), as well as hospital and health department partners, professional organizations, other USAID implementing partners, and other key stakeholders in Haiti such as NGOs and CSOs, to ensure effective technical assistance and the smooth implementation of activities
- Advise counterparts on technical issues and participate in relevant advisory and/or technical working groups with counterparts and partner institutions in development, adaptation and operationalization of national guidelines and policies
- Provide leadership in the design of RMNCH interventions, ensuring that interventions are technically sound, evidence-based, and are sustainable
- Represent USAID’s MCSP in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Coordinate STTA needs with MCSP headquarters program and technical staff
- Guide the analysis, synthesis and reporting of outputs and results in close collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Team.
- Mentor, support, supervise, and manage a team of highly qualified technical staff and align their efforts in concert with program goals to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work closely with MCSP Haiti and MCSP headquarters staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure technical compliance with USAID rules and regulation
- Support and strengthen the capacity of the MSPP to deliver quality clinical RMNH services.
- Support clinical training and supportive supervision of staff and MSPP counterparts
- Participate in design, adaptation, finalization and revision of national training packages and corresponding technical updates
- Support the MSPP to ensure quality of facility-based RMNCH services through site assessments, training/mentoring of service providers, and ongoing QA support
- Support the MSPP to ensure quality of community-based RMNCH services
- Ensure quality program implementation, including ensuring all program components are functioning (appropriate guidelines, supplies and materials, training programs, staff and consultants, etc.)
- Support and guide monitoring, evaluation and research activities related to RMNH services
- Write donor reports, workplans, strategic plans and other program-related documents in a timely manner and provide prompt feedback to donor requests for information
- Medical Doctor required; MPH or advanced degree preferred
- Ability to represent USAID’s Maternal and Child Survival Program at high level
- Extensive (10+) years of experience working in Haiti in RMNCH and nutrition, with strong community focus, knowledge of and experience working in collaboration with MSPP, international and local donor agencies and program implementing organizations (NGOs). Knowledge of major RMNCH best practices (including nutrition and WASH) as well as implementation of RMNCH programs in Haiti. Understanding of Haitian health care delivery and the role of community health workers. Demonstrated skills in collaborative engagement, program planning, knowledge management, facilitation, networking and communication.
- Experience managing more than 10 people and a project of at least USD 5,000,000.00
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and supervisory skills, inspiring teamwork and motivating staff and partners to achieve results
- In-depth knowledge of USAID programs, regulations, compliance and reporting
- Excellent program and financial management skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying best practices and adapting them to project realities
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Experience working at national level on health policy, technical guidelines and program implementation
- Understanding of principles of effective RMNCH programs and best practices
- Experience working in integrated programming through the continuum of care from household through community to hospital
- Excellent writing, data collection, analysis and reporting skills
- Fluency in Haitian Creole, French and English
- Excellent facilitation, oral and written communications skills
- Ability and willingness to travel around Haiti up to 30% of time
Please apply via the Jhpiego website http://www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com/ to job number 2015-2292.
- Organization: Jhpiego - Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Location: Pétionville | Port-au-Prince
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-10-30