Chief of Party
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Chief of Party
The Chief of Party will provide overall leadership and technical direction for the project, ensuring achievement of project deliverables. The CoP will be the primary liaison with USAID and will manage project staff and implementing partners to ensure proper reporting, financial management, and compliance. The CoP is expected to coordinate with government and other stakeholders to ensure that activities complement ongoing initiatives and adhere to country and global standards. The position will be based in Malawi and will report to the FHI 360 Malawi Country Representative. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval as key personnel.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide overall technical leadership and expertise in the development and implementation of Social and Behavioral Change Communication (SBCC) strategies to address the need for of behavior change related to climate change adaptation, sexual reproductive health and family planning among youth.
- Lead the overall planning, implementation and management as well as the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project in a timely and cost-effective manner with adherence to technical quality standards and donor guidelines.
- Oversee a team of senior technical and program management project staff and ensure strong communication and coordination with and between all team members.
- Oversee/manage partnerships and ensure strong lines of communication and collaboration are established and maintained.
- Ensure financial and grants management compliance with FHI 360 and USAID rules and regulations.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and collaboration for the team and in-country stakeholders, including USAID, implementation partners, Government of Malawi partners and other key stakeholders.
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations
- Master's Degree in public health, international development, health or development communication, business administration, social sciences, or a closely related field is required.
- 10 + years’ experience designing, implementing and managing large, complex projects involving multiple partners, in/for developing countries, of which at least five years has been spent in the position of CoP or Deputy CoP of a large development program of a multi-year program.
- At minimum, must have at least five years of progressively more responsible supervisory work experience that involved direct leadership of professional and support staff, oversight and evaluation of staff performance and deliverables, and contract/grant management
- Strong leadership qualities and knowledge of state of the art social and behavior change communication models and strategies and their practical application to one or more of the following areas is required: family planning; reproductive health; climate change adaptation; youth development.
- Experience in developing and implementing SBCC projects and programs in Malawi and/or other African regions that have demonstrated impact, at scale.
- Demonstrated track record of achieving results in a development context.
- Demonstrated track record of working in teams and fostering partnerships.
- Experience living or working in a developing country required; experience living and working in Malawi is preferred. Proficiency in Chichewa and/or another Malawian local language preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity to oversee monitoring, evaluation and learning. Ability to provide oversight and leadership for high quality results monitoring and assuring data quality, and for evidence-based adaptive management.
- Management experience with a USG cooperative agreement preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high volume work flow.
- Relevant computer software skills, including at a minimum MS Word and Excel
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Lilongwe (Malawi)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-11-14