DEPUTY DIRECTOR BASED IN LIRA - OPEN TO UGANDA NATIONALS
Lira | Kampala
DEPUTY DIRECTOR– BASED IN LIRA
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in consortia with GOAL, VSO and Restless Development, the Driving Youth-led New Agribusiness and Microenterprise (DYNAMIC) program will strengthen systems and facilitate creation of sustainable economic opportunities for disadvantaged youth. The goal is to increase the number of youth in secure employment/self-employment and to promote agricultural market systems for youth. DYNAMIC will reach 125,000 out-of-school youth aged 15–24 in eight districts of northern Uganda over five years.
The Deputy Program Director will assist in leading the coordination, strategy, compliance, M&E and reporting of a consortium of implementing partners. The Deputy Program Director will engender a collaborative team spirit focused on achievement of program goals. The program offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to influence the start up, research and design of a large, innovative program. The position is based in Lira, where the program management unit (PMU) will sit. The Deputy Program Director will also manage District Implementation Teams in Lira, Kaabong, Gulu and Kitgum.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Provide strategic leadership and vision to guide the District Implementation and Advisor Teams (Market Development; Financial Services; Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning; Youth Engagement and Skills and Learning Advisors) making up a team of 40 staff.
· Support the Program Director in providing strategic leadership to the full program team to attain program goal and objectives.
· Lead day to day DYNAMIC program implementation management ensuring program objectives and deadlines are met.
· Manage all operations related to the program according to the program work plan, program budget and implementation strategy, which fall under District Implementation Teams.
· Troubleshoot, as needed, to prevent disruptions in program activities and liaise with management and staff. • Monitor program implementation, measure impact and calibrate program strategy and implementation accordingly. • Work with the Program Director to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits. • Directly responsible for the performance management of the DYNAMIC District Implementation Teams. • Provide direct and ongoing supervision. • Ensure accountability to project participants and to international standards. • Work closely in partnership with the DYNAMIC Program Director to represent the program to the Uganda government at national and district levels. As well as the program Steering Committee, Consortium Coordination Group, and National Advisory Committee. • Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its mission. • Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE: • Master’s Degree in economic development or other relevant field is preferred. • At least 7 years of development experience including 3 years in senior management position. • Proven technical experience in market facilitation, youth development, livelihoods and/or agriculture and value chain programming. • Previous experience in Uganda or East Africa. • Practical experience managing or working within consortium-led grants involving international NGO partners highly preferred. • Complex program management and demonstrated success building, managing and leading a team of professionals. • Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills. • Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills. • Experience in building and maintaining effective partnerships with implementing and strategic partner agencies and government authorities
Submit your E-mailed application including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates through the Human Resource Manager to email@example.comDeadline for Submission:Close of business on October 16, 2015 Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Lira | Kampala
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-10-16