Operations Manager, Greece
Lesbos | Greece
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Operations Manager is a member of the response team and is responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions during the emergency response to the refugee crisis in Europe including Procurement, Logistics, Assets, Fleet, Warehousing, Admin and HR. S/he ensures effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members. This position will be required to provide overall operational managerial support to programs in both Lesvos and Kos.
Mercy Corps has established a response to refugees entering Europe, specifically in Greece. Programs include support to and coordination of an inter-agency pooled fund to provide transport of arrivals from coastal areas to registration sites, support to the Municipal Waste Authority for the facilitation of refuse collection along the coastal arrival areas, operations of a mobile unit providing Wi-Fi hotspot and information access along the transit routes and distribution of water and food items, as well as small scale NFIs (hygiene items). Additionally, concerted efforts are now underway to provide support to inter agency information, communication and technology (ICT) initiatives including the establishment of an information portal as well as development of key messaging and information banners and leaflets. Mercy Corps is also now establishing operations on the island of Kos, supporting local partners through provision of small scale grants and capacity building support. As such, operational guidance and oversite will be required on both islands, requiring some travel to the Kos program team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet program objectives.
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Communicate with local partners, as well as sub-grantees, to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Develop the capacity of the team and assist with continued development of a career path for operations staff.
- Facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurements.
- Work with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Assist teams in understanding their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations.
- Be responsible for full and proper implementation of Mercy Corps systems of management, compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps field manuals contained in the Office in a Box.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps activities.
Operations Management - Logistics
- Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurements and use of Mercy Corps' Electronic Procurement System found in the Office in a Box; Chair tender openings as required.
- Ensure warehouse procedures are followed as described in the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; oversee NFI commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Supervise the fleet management team and ensure systems to track maintenance, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; maintain service contracts.
- Coordinate logistics (non-program) aspects of material aid projects and associated shipments; manage importation and customs clearance elements. Oversee equipment registration, licensing and insurance, etc.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow; oversee tracking of all assets.
Operations Management - Administration
- Support as required the registration process for establishing Mercy Corps in Greece (research, document collection)
- Ensure Admin. systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
- Oversee set-up and development of Mercy Corps offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, IT.
- Develop and periodically review country or field office specific policies and communicate them to teams.
- Oversee database and file management for administration, procurement, and logistics resources documents.
- Oversee facility management, including housing and office leases; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Be responsible for any necessary expatriate visa and work permits.
- Ensure functional IT systems, through in-house staff or outsourced IT support.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Greek law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
Operations Management - Human Resources
- Development/review country or field office specific HR policies and with the HR team communicate to teams.
- Ensure HR systems are implemented and ensure all HR policies comply with local law.
- Oversee fair, transparent and timely recruiting processes and the HR database and tracking of team members.
- Assist managers in implementing the performance review process and a fair and competitive compensation system.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Operations staff (Logistics/Procurement Officer, HR/Admin Officer)
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Team Leader
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Managers, Finance Manager,
COLLABORATES WITH: All MC logistics and operations team as required
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years field experience setting up and managing administration, procurement, logistics, and human resource systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses, with experience in the Middle East and Europe preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures (esp. procurement systems) desirable; M&E experience preferred and knowledge of U.S. government regulations helpful.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; applicants with Greek language skills will be prioritized.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Greek nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
The successful Operations Manager will be good at problem solving and have the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with MC and donor regulations. S/he will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity, while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position is based in Greece. The location is unaccompanied and secure. Housing will either be individual or group depending on what's available, with unlimited freedom of movement beyond the house/office (Housing is provide for those working outside their home country). All MC employees are expected to work five days a week. Staff will have widely available access to services, including medical, electricity, and water. This position requires some (30% of time) travel by road to activity sites in secure environments in Lesvos, and air travel to sites in Kos.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bWJhcnRvbG9uaS43MTA4My4zODMwQG1lcmN5Y29ycHMuYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Lesbos | Greece
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-10-30