Senior Logistics Manager
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Logistics Senior Manager provides functional leadership to ensure sound logistical systems, performance and coordination providing Country Office programs and teams with optimum support. In addition, the post holder is responsible for the strategic management of the Save the Children International Afghanistan supply chain, Pharmaceutical and Construction management, and Fleet Management so that it delivers effective solutions for staff and programs.
The Senior Logistics Manager is responsible for the coordination and support of all logistics activities throughout Save the Children's areas of operation within Afghanistan and ensuring quality operations and program deliveries.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years' experience in logistics and operation management at a senior level in a large international non-governmental organisation or other international relief/development body;
- Experience in logistics operations scale up in emergencies.
- Experience of training and developing staff in logistics and administrative systems
- Strong interpersonal and team skills, with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in budget and financial management;
- In-depth practical knowledge of logistics systems and requirements in a multi-field office, multi-programme setting;
- Effective self-organised, time management and prioritisation skills.
- Ability to work alongside others under stressful conditions in conflict-prone situations
- Extensive prior NGO experience in logistics management, within a complex/large scale country program and in emergency response/humanitarian environments (5 yrs +)
- Substantial experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management.
- Experience of developing / implementing a complex international supply chain to support different types of programs, and coordinating resources to meet the program objectives
- Proven track-record in managing and supervising others in logistics, including training and capacity building (international staff)
- Ability to synthesise and analyse complex information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Experience of advising and supporting others at all levels with logistics aspects of a program, including strategic thinking and planning
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English, and the capacity to identify and develop opportunities with an organisation-wide perspective;
- Cultural awareness with strong written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Technical experience/knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention (e.g. Health, WASH, Food Security (5+ sectors))
- Masters degree in a relevant academic discipline;
- Experience in delivering logistics and operational services in Afghanistan.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'email@example.com'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Kabul
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2015-10-21