Senior Business Development Officer
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
GOAL Global is an international humanitarian organization founded in 1977 and currently working in 19 countries with both humanitarian and development programs. GOAL delivers life-saving relief to people affected by emergencies through addressing immediate needs and providing a range of emergency services including healthcare, shelter, water and sanitation and the provision of food. Following an emergency, GOAL works with local communities toward recovery to provide services and resources when local authorities are not able to, and strengthens the community's own ability to rebuild. In regions of chronic crisis and underdevelopment, GOAL implements development programs to support long term positive change for poor, vulnerable and marginalized groups by reducing their economic and social vulnerability.
An associate of GOAL Global, GOAL USA manages GOAL country programs in Haiti and Honduras and is the home of GOAL’s resilience policy and programs. As GOAL USA, we are focused on addressing the humanitarian impacts of natural disasters and conflict exacerbated by climate change. We seek to do this by fostering partnership, innovation and leadership within the broader humanitarian community, building resilience to reduce loss of life and livelihoods before a disaster strikes, and promoting best practices to facilitate rapid and sustainable recovery.
GOAL USA is seeking a Senior Business Development Officer to identify and lead new business opportunities, coordinate with regional and program staff, and represent GOAL to donors, partners and other external stakeholders. The Senior Development Officer will implement a successful business development and fundraising strategy through work on proactive proposals, government grants, and competitive bids. The Senior Business Development Officer will directly support the multiple GOAL Country Directors as well as senior staff in GOAL USA by leading the development of proposals to ensure continuity of funding as well as new strategic funding proposals and budgets. The Senior Business Development Officer will be a member of the GOAL USA team, and report to the Regional Director for the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC), while being centrally part of the GOAL Global’s business development strategy team managed by the Dublin-based Director for Business Development.
Key Outputs and Objectives:
- Develop successful proposals and budgets, including:
- Lead in drafting all elements of proposals and grant applications;
- Project design and document production;
- Lead and organize guidance and support to country team development of proactive concepts, converting ideas into strong proposals and actively participate in identifying sources of support for such proposals;
- Manage proposal process start to finish, ensuring both GOAL and donor standards and requirements are met;
- Work with GOAL’s in-country management teams to develop action plans for new business opportunities;
- Stay abreast of funding priorities of GOAL’s major donors.
- Research and produce internal briefs on topics and issues related to new business development (e.g. donor profiles, partner organization profiles, briefings for meetings and conferences). This includes the use and/or development of in-country donor mapping tool;
- Coordinate efforts between GOAL and partner organizations;
- Lead the development of proposals and budgets submitted in partnership with other organizations where GOAL is either the primary applicant or a sub-contractor;
- Negotiate favorable and manageable role in partnership proposals;
- Track donor funding trends and priorities within the Latin America and Caribbean region and communicate these to GOAL’s Country Directors and GOAL US Senior Management Team;
- Research, analyze and maintain regular register of donor calls for funding applications including tenders, expressions of interest and requests for proposals;
- Ensure relevant internal approval processes at different levels are followed on making the decision whether or not to pursue a funding opportunity;
- Identify new partners, subawardees/subcontractors, and/or donors to enhance GOAL’s capabilities and expand programming.
- Ensure the highest possible level of service to donors, including coordinated communication with donors and partner organizations and building and maintaining strong relationships with donors and partners;
- Communicate regularly with program and field staff as well as other departments on ongoing and planned program development efforts, specific support needs and field staff capacity building requirements.
- Represent GOAL US at meetings, conferences, and workshops.
- Undertake other duties and projects as assigned to support the workings of GOAL Global and GOAL US.
- Fluency in English and Spanish, written and oral, required. Additional abilities in French beneficial but not required.
- Broad understanding of principals of international relief and development, including but not limited to sub-fields of local economic development, microfinance and market systems, food security, and health.
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations and knowledge of USAID RFA and RFP proposal processes and other major donors.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills. Ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage deadlines, to manage others and to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Domestic and international travel required, up to 50%. Ability to travel extensively to Central America as well as other locations as required.
- Able to work abroad in sometimes difficult and challenging environments.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural, geographically dispersed team environment.
- Advanced knowledge of word processing, and database maintenance.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience;
- BA/S in relevant field required; Master’s degree preferred;
- Fluent English and Spanish language skills;
- Experience in securing multiple high value grants from donors, trusts or foundations, including USAID, CIDA, DFID, ECHO, and the United Nations;
- Proven experience in supporting international humanitarian and development programs, preferably gained in a multi-site international organization;
- Knowledge of donor compliance, procurement and grant management;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Proven knowledge in capacity building in cross cultural settings; and
- Overseas experience within the humanitarian and/or development context.
San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC. Exact location to be determined upon job offer.
GOAL USA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, GOAL USA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-11-08