Programme manager, safer communities
Bukavu | Kinshasa
DanChurchAid(DCA) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping the world’s poorest. We work to save lives, to build resilient communities, and to fight extreme inequality.
We are looking for an experienced Programme Manager (PM) for our work in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Our DR Congo Programme
DCAs aims to protect vulnerable communities in DR Congo, and contribute to efforts to improve stability, by addressing factors underlying violent conflict. Our focus is to work with communities to become more cohesive, resilient, and better able to manage tensions and conflicts without resorting to violence. We work to build sustainable, community-owned approaches to armed violence reduction, through facilitating development of community safety plans. We educate people on the dangers of explosive remnants of war and landmines, and we clear them. And we work with communities to find ways of breaking dependencies leading to violence.
We apply a people-centered approach to tackle interlinked peace, security and development needs and aim to build positive relationships between communities, authorities and institutions to improve community safety and encourage the development of local economies. At the center of our work is our belief that local communities are the best agents of change.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will be:
- To provide, articulate, and promote DCA’s vision for Safer Communities in DR Congo.
- To set and implementing DCA’s country strategy.
- To lead our team of dedicated international and national staff.
- Donor, grant and relationship management to resource the vision and strategy, and pave the way for expansion of our work in future.
- Ensuring relevance, effectiveness, transparency and accountability in all areas of work.
You have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years leadership experience at senior level, preferably in complex humanitarian environments.
- Essential: fluency in written and spoken French and English .
- A relevant academic qualification, at Masters level or equivalent.
- Strong communications skills, both spoken and written.
- The ability to mentor, coach and develop staff.
- Experience with fund raising, networking, donor liaison and coordination.
- Strong analytical skills and capacity.
- Good command and interest in financial management and compliance.
- Strong ability to plan, coordinate and lead processes that include multiple stakeholders and interests.
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability – experience from the region is an added advantage.
Prior work experience from the humanitarian mine action sector is an added advantage, as is experience and understanding of working in conflict environments and fragile states.
- This is a non-family posting with the duty station in Bukavu
- A one year contract starting as soon as possible
- A competitive salary package to be negotiated based on experience level
- Insurance as per industry standards
- An opportunity to make a difference addressing humanitarian needs in a challenging environment
Closing date for applications is November 9, 2015.
Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applications consisting as a minimum of a motivation letter and a CV will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on DCA’s HMA programmes in Africa, please visit http://www.danchurchaid.org/what-we-do/mine-action
To apply online, please go to "Get involved" at www.danchurchaid.org
- Organization: DCA - DanChurchAid
- Location: Bukavu | Kinshasa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Mine Action
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-11-09