Technical Officer - Planning and Human Resources for Health
Vacancy Notice No: SE/CO/BAN/TIP/2015/5
Title: Technical Officer - Planning and Human Resources for Health
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract:Two Years
Application Deadline:26 October 2015
Duty Station:Dhaka, Bangladesh
Organization unit: SEARO
Countries (SE_ACO) /SE_BAN WR Office, Bangladesh (SE_BAN).
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The WHO Country Office collaborates with the Government of Bangladesh and relevant stakeholders within the framework of the collaborative Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS) to provide technical assistance to the Government in the formulation of national health policies, strategies and plans of actions and developing guidelines and tools for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of interventions for improving access, quality, and affordability of integrated and people-centered health services.Description of duties:Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative to the Bangladesh country office, direct supervision of the WHO Country Office Health Systems Team Leader, and working in close collaboration with the Regional Office advisor on planning and human resources for health; and the health system team in the country office, the incumbent will be working with the national authorities and other relevant stakeholders to:
- Provide guidance on national health plan development processes such as situation analysis, priority setting, and budgeting of the plan, monitoring and evaluation with a view of strengthening national policies, strategies and plans.
- Support health policy development including communication with different stakeholders and key country partners; assist with technical consultations and dialogues; facilitate regular policy review/assessment and evaluation of the implementation of health policies.
- Provide advice on policy development, planning, implementation and evaluation in the field of human resources and service delivery, with a view of improving the accessibility, acceptability, quality and the availability of services, particularly for the poor and vulnerable.
- Provide strategic guidance in strengthening national human resources for health through policy development, and advice on appropriate management of skilled health workers and to enhance and promote inter-sectoral collaboration and linkages among stakeholders.
- Strengthen leadership role and management skills of health managers at all levels and support leadership training initiatives thus contributing to good governance.
- Lead in the improvement of quality and standards of education and training of the health workforce in collaboration with WHO/HQ, regional counterparts and stakeholders; and collaborate with the educational institutions that deliver health training programmes by providing technical guidance.
- Provide overall guidance to strengthen national activities for developing health workforce through innovative and appropriate use of in-service training, continuing education and on the job training etc. to improve health systems performance.
- Promote the generation and use of evidence based policies and interventions, through coordination with relevant departments in Government and with partners in- and outside the country for the design and implementation of health workforce assessments; analytical work and research (including operational research).
- Support efforts towards strengthening the stewardship and regulatory functions in general and in related to human resources for health.
- Provide technical support to quality and performance management in the health sector and in general contribute to overall efforts on health systems development.
- Contribute to Universal Health Coverage related efforts in Bangladesh.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Submit an assignment report upon completion of assignment
University degree in health related field or management; and postgraduate degree (master equivalent) in human resources for health, health policy and planning, or health management and administration.
Additional training in national health policies, strategies and plans.
WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution. The list can be accessed through
this link: http://www.whed.net/
At least seven years of relevant experience in health systems strengthening, with a focus on policy, planning and human resources for health some of which should have been obtained in an international context in low income settings.
Working experience on health services delivery and accreditation/licensing.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated expertise in health services management, policy formulation, planning and human resources for health.
- Demonstrated experience in inter-sectoral collaboration and ability to work with other agencies and development partners in middle and or low income country settings.
2.Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
4.Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
5.Moving forward in a changing environment
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, and working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications.
Languages:Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
WHO's salaries are calculated in US dollars.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
A written test and interviews may be used as a form of screening
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Health service
- Human Resources
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Closing Date: 2015-10-26