Project Development Manager
Erbil | Baghdad (Iraq)
Department: Grant Management
Position: Project Development Manager – Iraqi Kurdistan
Contract duration: 12 months, renewable
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Starting Date ASAP
I. Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last kilometer: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. ACTED develops and implements programs that target the most vulnerable amongst populations that have suffered from conflict, natural disaster, or socio-economic hardship. ACTED’s approach looks beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihoods reconstruction and sustainable development.
With a budget of 164 million EUR in 2014, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
I. Country Profile
Capital office: Erbil
Projects: 29 (2014)
Budget: 13.4 M euros (2014)
National Staff: 398
ACTED has been working in Iraq since 2003 providing humanitarian support to vulnerable populations through multi-sector emergency assistance. ACTED has been operational in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI) since 2007 initially working to build the capacity of civil society organizations and, since early 2013, responding to the Syrian refugee crisis through the provision of food, camp management and child protection services. Furthermore, ACTED was one of the first humanitarian actors to address the mass displacements from Mosul in June 2014 and has since been working on meeting the basic needs of displaced populations residing in Northern and Southern Iraq. With a main office in Erbil City, and bases in Sulaymaniyah City and Duhok City, ACTED has opened bases in Kalar (Sulaymaniyah Governorate), and in Kut (Wassit Governorate, Southern Iraq) and has expanded its staffing with 27 international and nearly 400 national staff currently working within the five bases.
In addition, REACH has been conducting assessments in Iraq since late 2012, initially focusing on informing the humanitarian response to the Syrian response in KR-I, and since the start of the IDP crisis in January, has supported UNHCR, OCHA, USAID/OFDA with cross-cutting assessments such as Multi-Sector Needs Assessments focusing on refugees, and Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment focusing on IDPs conducted in KR-I and accessible areas.
III. Position Profile
I. Functions in terms of AME
- Project Cycle Management
- Facilitate the development and implementation of project cycle management;
- Participate in developing a PCM guide, incl. tools and procedures to be used;
- Train the staff to use the PCM guide and related tools and procedures, and notably follow up the implementation of the Project Management framework (PMF, ACTED PCM Tool) for all projects
- Keep track of all projects and programs monitoring and evaluation schedules and work with field staff to design and implement monitoring and evaluation procedures;
- Information System
- Work with all departments to follow up project and programs databases incl. work on the nomenclature used (official names etc.);
- Follow up the day-to-day workings of the AME Department, including reading weekly monitoring reports and follow-up;
- Ensure that appraisal, monitoring and evaluation reports are made useful for fundraising and add to the general base of field knowledge in the country for all organizations working in the area;
- Set up a Resource Centre at the capital office regularly updated with appropriate and relevant external and internal resources.
- Diffuse information to other internal stakeholders through the intranet and the regional office
- Participatory Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure that local partners, when appropriate, engaged in appraisal for and/or with ACTED are trained and given advice in participatory approaches, minimalizing bias, and other key methodologies for information gathering;
- Work with base and field staff to help design and improve adapted participatory appraisal mechanisms for the projects implemented in the country;
- Departmental Follow-up
- Manage the AME staff in cooperation with Area Coordinators and Program Managers;
- Follow up work plans, activities and their quality;
- Work with the administrative departments to ensure that procedures are respected;
- Solve problems and give professional guidance, especially for interns / volunteers;
- Communicate regularly to the regional Coordination, Program Managers and Coordination on all activities;
II. Functions in terms of reporting
- Ensuring the Production of Timely, Accurate and Analytical Reports for Donors
- Understand and disseminate Donors guidelines ;
- Liaise regularly with Area Coordinators, Program Managers and technical staff to ensure the production of quality reports across areas and across Donors;
- Work in close relation with AME Department to develop and incorporate more solid monitoring and evaluation components in reports;
- Work in close relation with Finance Department to ensure greater coherence between financial and narrative reports, and ensure steady cash inflow based on the timeliness and quality of report submissions.
- Work in close relation and communicate on a regular basis with HQ reporting department, notably on the basis of the monthly Reporting follow up
- Developing Internal Coordination and Communication mechanisms
- In relation with the project development manager and Country Director, ensure that all meetings are held and documented (capital coordination meetings, area coordination meetings, monthly coordination meetings, quarterly country coordination meetings);
- Ensure in particular that reporting guidelines, formats, philosophy, deadlines for each project and donor is communicated clearly and standardized across the country for new and on-going projects;
- Follow-up meetings at the field level and in the capital, between the bases and between the country program and HQ/other ACTED operations through the ACTED Newsletter;
- Draft agenda and minutes of country-wide meetings, with the assistance of the Reporting staff.
- Developing an External Donor Relations Strategy
- Update on a weekly and monthly basis the external relations database, which documents latest negotiations and proposal possibilities with a number of key donors;
- Manage a team of Area Coordinators, Program Managers and technical staff to ensure that proposals are developed in a cohesive and professional manner and in line with ACTED country strategy and donor requirements;
- Act as point of contact for all Donor communication, including the organization of and hosting of Donor visits in the field for projects s/he is in charge of.
- Developing an External Communication Strategy
- Define the main target groups, activities, resources and partnerships needed;
- Ensure continuum of PR activities, including formal presentations, engaging media for coverage on success stories, updating project-specific and regional fact sheets, and documenting publications featuring ACTED in the media ;
- Identifying sources of funding for a more cohesive public information strategy in-country.
- Assisting the Project Development Manager and Country Director in developing the country strategy, project proposals, addressing ad hoc donor requests or catalyzing action on specific projects or components of projects
• Master Level education in a relevant field such as International Relations or Development
• Project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in development programmes
• 2-5 years previous work experience in a relevant position
• Proven capabilities in leadership and management required
• Excellent skills in written and spoken English
• Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms
• Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, and three references details to email@example.com
Ref : PDM/IRQ/SA
- Organization: ACTED - Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2015-11-30