Chief of Party/Project Director
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Chief of Party/ProjectDirector
FHI 360’s Civil Society and Peacebuilding Department (CSPD) supports citizens to mobilize effectively to influence policy, improve lives, and build peace. CSPD works with civil society to increase its credibility, visibility and effectiveness by building its capacity to:
- Engage with local government to increase its responsiveness to citizen needs;
- Solve community problems, engage youth in civic affairs, and provide needed services to citizens;
- Advocate for social justice, democratic reforms, human rights, and effective policies;
- Produce media, including online, radio, and television content, to promote social dialogue and tolerance; and
- Promote peaceful solutions to conflict and support peace negotiations.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
FHI 360’s Civil Society and Peacebuilding Department (CSPD) currently seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded Local Governance for Service Delivery (GOLD) Activity program in Senegal. The purpose of the 5 years program is to build capacity of local governments in improving service delivery at the local level and improve citizen engagement in good governance. The position is contingent on funding.
The COP will serve as the project’s principal contact point for USAID and will be the project’s main in-country contact for government counterparts, donors, local partners, media, and civil society.
The COP will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project and provide administrative and technical leadership. S/he will oversee all aspects of program performance to ensure that procedures are established and adhered to for activity development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, procurement, budgeting, and financial accounting. S/he will supervise the recruitment, hiring, and supervision of local staff and consultants. The COP will provide overall supervision of implementing partners and beneficiary communities, ensuring timely progress against schedules, achievement of deliverables, and quality of results. The COP will also oversee development and approval of project deliverables. This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to the activity implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate activity adjustments.
- Oversee the establishment of the Governance for Local Development (GOLD) project;
- Provide overall leadership management and general technical direction for the design and implementation of activities in municipal governance strengthening, fiscal decentralization, improved service delivery (primary education, health, environment, etc.); participative budgeting, public financial management; and citizen participation, particularly youth and women.
- Ensure an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the Statement of Objective (SOO).
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID/Senegal, government counterparts, donors, and community stakeholders, and build effective relationships with all key stakeholders;
- Oversee financial and administrative management of the program, ensuring budget discipline;
- Supervise the development and submission of program deliverables and provide accurate and timely reporting to USG and key stakeholders on all program areas;
- Oversee the establishment of effective project reporting, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, and personnel and procurement systems and ensure that program results are met; and
- Manage long-term staff and short-term advisors in a respectful and transparent manner, ensuring achievement of project results.
- Her/his primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire activity,
- Fluent spoken, written, and reading abilities in French and English;
- Master’s or higher degree in one of the following relevant fields is strongly desired: public administration, public policy, international development, law, political science, or related social sciences. A master’s degree may be substituted by a bachelor’s degree and at least 20 years relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with activities that are of a similar scope and scale to this activity.
- Minimum ten (10) years of progressively responsible work experience in democracy and governance improvement, public administration, decentralization, or related governance programming areas, including previous international cooperation experience with efforts to integrate governance in other sectors such as health, education, agriculture.
- Minimum of 10 years’ management experience;
- Experience managing USAID projects (preferably as a Chief of Party) in complex, sensitive environments, and strong knowledge of USAID programming rules and regulations, and monitoring and evaluation policies and procedures;
- Experience living and working in Africa preferred; knowledge of and understanding of development, political and governance issues in Senegal, and knowledge of Senegalese counterparts, individuals and active organizations highly desired;
- Previous experience in developing collaborative working relationship with counterparts, other contractors and international organizations and donors. This also entails monitoring, evaluating, and documenting progress towards meeting project objectives; evaluating sub-contractor and grantee activities through consultative meetings, site visits, and reporting requirements; working out solutions to keep activities on track; and providing overall guidance and direction focusing the activity team on achieving agreed-upon targets and objectives;
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are required;
- Proven record of excellent management, strategic vision and leadership, and decision-making skills with a demonstrated capacity to work effectively with donors and diverse teams.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Dakar
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-11-30