Project Development Intern – Sri Lanka
Position:Project Development Intern – Sri Lanka
Contract duration:**6 months**
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Starting Date ASAP
I. Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Our interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Our 4000 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
Our teams in the field implement some 380 projects in 35 countries covering the following sectors emergency relief, food security, access to health, education and training, economic development, microfinance, advocacy, institutional support, and regional dialogue, cultural promotion.
Based on considerable experience addressing the needs and situations of vulnerable communities, ACTED contributes to the international agenda towards reaching the Millennium Development Goals, through a wide range of partnerships, innovative initiatives, and campaigns.
II. Country Profile
National staff: 52
International Staff: 5
Capital Office: Colombo
Total number of direct beneficiaries: 149,815
Budget : 6,8 M Dollars
ACTED operations in Sri Lanka began in 2005 in the aftermath of the tsunami, with an intervention focused on short term emergency disaster relief. Since then, ACTED Sri Lanka has evolved with the changing needs of the country.
With the resettlement of displaced populations and the rehabilitation of critical infrastructure comes the need for sustainable development with a longer-term perspective.
ACTED has responded to these evolving needs in Sri Lanka with a strategy that hinges on the promotion of equitable development and pro-poor growth, contributing to the country’s need for equitable distribution of wealth and resources. While continuing to support the needs of the most vulnerable returnees in the North through infrastructure rehabilitation and cash transfer activities, the concept of community-driven development through the strengthening of community-based organizations continues to influence many of ACTED activities in Sri Lanka. New opportunities for 2012 also involve Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) development in the East, providing clear and realistic frameworks for the growth and increased productivity of 40 SMEs, providing training on the business management and technical area of production, as well as supporting in the business registration process in order to increase employment and strengthen the supply chain, contributing to the economic development of the East.
III. Position Profile
The PDI’s taks will focus on but are not limited to:
- Ensuring reporting from in a timely and quality manner. Standard ACTED reporting tools will be used but the PDI is also expected to liaise with programme and project managers, the monitoring and evaluation department, other departments within ACTED, and possible other actors to ensure all data provided is accurate and comprehensive.
- Assist the project development officer and manager in developing project proposals. The PDI will will gather information from field teams, which feeds into the proposal.
- Drafting internal and external communication that involves the base. This includes minute taking at meetings, gathering flash news and writing success stories for the ACTED website, development of ACTED fact sheets in preparation of donor visits, and addressing ad hoc donor requests as assigned by the PDO or PDM.
- Ad hoc tasks as assigned by PDM or AC such as but not limited to updating the server, filing, writing research reports, drafting memos’s, and/ or making presentations.
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in international development studies, international relations, human rights, WASH, migration, agriculture, food security, gender studies, or a related field;
· Fluent English (written and spoken), excellent writing and communication skills;
· Prior work experience with an INGO in an emergency setting preferred;
· Ability to work under pressure in a high-pace environment;
· Good organisational and prioritisation skills;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
· Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
Field Intern benefits include:
- 300 USD per month living allowance
- Coverage of all accommodation, food, and travel costs, a luggage allowance of 50 kg
- The provision of medical, repatriation, and life insurance
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, and three references to email@example.com
For more information, visit us athttp://www.acted.org
- Organization: ACTED - Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development
- Location: Colombo
- Grade: N/A
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2015-11-16