Policy and Advocacy Manager Nationals Only
Marie Stopes Sierra Leone (MSSL) is a national NGO which uses modern management and marketing techniques to promote reproductive and sexual health rights and provide high-quality health services throughout Sierra Leone. MSSL has 168 members of staff working in all 13 districts in Sierra Leone via 8 centres, 14 outreach teams and a network of 12 clinical and pharmaceutical social franchisees. MSSL is part of Marie Stopes International's Global Partnership which is in over 40 countries worldwide.
The Programme Development and Quality Unit leads active engagement with governments, institutions and individuals to proactively shape and inform national dialogue and polices to advance universal access to contraception and post abortion care. As a highly functional team, the Programme Development and Quality Department forges meaningful and productive relationships with external partners to inform MSSL’s organisational priorities and programming; identify, cultivate and sustain financial and technical partnerships that support MSSL’s mission; identify and maximise opportunities for influence and change.
This is a Freetown based, senior position within MSSL’s Programme Development and Quality Department which will require periodic travel to the provinces. As Advocacy and Policy Manager for MSSL you will:
- Support MSSL’s strategic engagement with policy makers and parliamentarians to increase resourcing and prioritisation of contraception and post abortion care services, and to increase MSSL’s visibility and profile as the leading national service delivery organisation for these services.
- Lead the implementation of MSSL's policy interventions ensuring the achievement of policy outcomes to stimulate national policy dialogue and change
- Monitor and analyse the national sexual and reproductive health policy environment in order to identify gaps or opportunities for MSSL's involvement that promote MSSL's approach to evidence based decision making
- Provide feedback to both MSSL and MSI Teams on outcome of stakeholder meetings and consultations.
- Identify national policy committees and ensure MSSL is represented at all SRH national policy dialogue meetings Ensure the implementation of relevant evaluation and reviews to strengthen policy project effectiveness
- Cultivate, strengthen and nurture constructive and positive relationships with a wide range of political, technical and financial partners, including national decision makers and policy makers, academic institutions, opinion leaders and other partners as champions to advance universal access to contraception and safe abortion. Represent MSSL in key networks and coalitions.
- Provide regular feedbacks to MSSL team on outcomes of stakeholders meetings and consultations attended.
- Effectively identify and influence relevant debates, opportunities and policy initiatives that can support MSSL's priorities of: eradicating unsafe abortion; increasing access and choice in long-acting and permanent contraceptive methods; de-medicalisation and task-shifting; results based financing; and increasing access for young people.
- Serve as a spokesperson for MSSL at conferences, presentations, panel discussions, press conferences, committees, working groups and other meetings.
- Proactively engage and serve as a key resource to increase awareness of MSSL’s global impact and results with strategic partners and individuals. Support the transfer of knowledge, documentation and dissemination of learning, best practices, case studies and successful strategies in relation to MSSL’s policy engagement.
- Support relationships and engagement to increase the profile and visibility of MSSL’s work through strategic events, partnerships, profiling and collaboration with a wide range of technical and financial partners.
- Monitor policy processes and developments relevant to MSSL. Competencies
- A confident communicator who is able to negotiate with diplomacy and build relationships at multiple levels.
- An analytical thinker who has the ability to see the bigger picture, identify opportunities and tailor strategic plans and adjust goals when circumstances change.
- A solution-focused individual who thinks ‘outside the box’ and can diplomatically challenge the status quo whilst maintaining harmony
****Entrepreneurial and resourceful****:
- A self-starter and creative risk taker who is able to act decisively when unexpected events present opportunities for advancing MSSL’s national mission.
Experience and Skills
- Masters degree in Political Sciences, Public Health or the Social Sciences
- At least 5 years work experience, 3 of which must be related to Advocacy and Policy work.
- Demonstrated record in engaging and influencing senior policymakers, donors and civil society agencies to deliver strategic advocacy outcomes.
- Established and network of relationships with politicians, decision makers, and international agencies within Sierra Leone.
- Excellent communication skills - excellent verbal and written English communication skills and ability to organise and present information in a compelling way.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of both local and government policies.
- Strong written communications skills, with demonstrated ability to produce a range of policy and communications materials
- Demonstrable input to best practice documents and technical guidelines
- Strong analytical and strategic skills
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively
- Committed to the mission and vision of Marie Stopes Sierra Leone
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should apply by email only with CV containing 2 references and suitability statement as a single attachment to email@example.com not later than 26th October 2015. MSSL is an equal opportunities employer. The subject of the email should be APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF ADVOCACY AND POLICY MANAGER, FREETOWN and the CV/Suitability statement should be saved in the applicant’s full name. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted” Only short listed applicants will be invited for interview. Copies of certificates will be requested during the interview
- Organization: Marie Stopes International
- Location: Freetown
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-10-26