Antioch | Ankara
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Logistics Manager is responsible for supporting improvements and providing management in all logistics and procurement functions including the supply chain, fleet, assets and communications in coordination with the logistic and procurement together staff. A key component of this role will be to build the capacity of the logistics staff and partner logistics staff, as well as to improve the understanding of the programmes team of logistics policies and procedures.
The Logistics Manager will provide technical support and strategic planning to future initiatives to increase the in-country logistic and procurement capacity and support to the programs. This requires a highly motivated and detail solution oriented individual who will be able to resolve operational critical challenges as they arise.
The Logistics Manager contributes to ensuring that Save the Children's commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to the Sphere Charter, Save the Children Minimum Standards and the NGO Code of Conduct, and endeavors to implement sustainable systems and transfer knowledge and skills to existing staff.
The delivery of an effective logistics function will play a key role in the expansion of Save the Children programmes in Syria to increase impact and enable positive change for children.
Qualifications and experience
- 5-7 years relevant experience of procurement management, warehousing and stock control, goods distribution, and transportation and vehicle fleet management in large international non-governmental organisation or other international relief/development body and in emergency response/humanitarian environments particularly in the Middle East.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a country logistics strategy to support programme delivery and expansion
- Experience of developing and running a local supply chain system to support different types of programmes, and coordinating resources to meet the programme objectives
- University degree in a relevant discipline;
- Proven track-record in managing and supervising others in logistics
- Experience of building and developing the capacity of logistics staff through the use of training, performance management frameworks and development plans;
- Sound knowledge of budgeting and financial management;
- Resourcefulness and creativity in developing the role of logistics within the programme and ensuring the most effective support to line management (including the ability to synthesise and analyse complex information and present clear and informed solutions);
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong communication, people management and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in leading multicultural, multi location, values driven teams;
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people, both internally and externally
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments;
- Commitment to Save the Children UK's global policies such as Child Safeguarding, Whistle blowing, Fraud, and Health and Safety.
Ability to speak Arabic or Turkish is highly desirable
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'IFarhoud.email@example.com'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Antioch | Ankara
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2015-11-03