Director, Business and Proposal Development and Communications
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Director, Business and Proposal Development and Communications
The FHI 360 Global Learning Business Unit consists of two departments: Global Connections (GC) and Global Education (GE). Global Connections, which manages a range of practice areas in exchanges and international visitor programs, scholarships, English Language Training, and other areas, is primarily funded by the Department of State. The Global Education team works in international education programs funded primarily by USAID, the World Bank, UNICEF, and other global institutions. The practice areas include all aspects of teaching and learning, early grade reading, secondary education and workforce development, education in conflict and crisis, information systems, research and evaluation, and policy reforms.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The Director of Business and Proposal Development and Communications (BDC) is responsible for winning new business for the practice areas in Global Learning. S/he is responsible for developing teams with the capacity to excel in all areas of the business development cycle – from identifying and prioritizing opportunities, conducting effective capture, and developing winning proposals. S/he will lead a team in coordinating GL business opportunities, ensuring an active pipeline of bids in capture and preparation, managing market intelligence, and ensuring that communication strategies support strategic positioning. The Director will work closely with the GL departments and GE regional directors to make strategic decisions on investments in new business growth areas and to pursue specific funding opportunities and partnerships. S/he will work in collaboration with and leverage the resources of the Business Development and Diversification department and other corporate stakeholders.
The Director will provide leadership in the development, management and quality assurance of business development from capture through proposal submission. S/he will ensure that proposal processes are efficient, effective, well communicated and consistently implemented. S/he will develop an extensive network of partners and consultants that are relevant to the GL practice areas and will cultivate relationships with non-USG donors, including private foundations and other government and multilateral donors.
Performance in this position will be measured by the facilitation of contract and grant wins through good planning, capture and proposal development; successful capacity-building of Global Learning staff in business development; and development of strong internal and external partnerships that facilitate new business wins.
The Director of Business and Proposal Development and Communications is a member of the senior leadership team of the Global Learning Business Unit, reporting directly to the Global Learning Director. S/he will lead the BDC team and lead capture and proposals in the Global Education department. S/he will also provide support for the business development team in Global Connections. The Director will ensure that Global Learning is submitting high quality, winning bids. Specifically, s/he will:
Within the Global Education Department, play a direct role in developing and overseeing the team’s portfolio of opportunities:
- Facilitate the development and execution of a business development plans in coordination with geographic and technical leads
- Review strategic bid opportunities in collaboration with regional and technical teams
- Recommend opportunities to pursue and facilitate go/no go decisions with the senior management team
- Oversee proposal budgets, ensure they are managed closely, provide regular financial analyses to executive leadership
- Lead capture and proposal development teams on high priority and complex proposals
- Ensure proposal teams are appropriately staffed and provide targeted support when needed in areas such as: cost share, pricing strategies, win strategies, etc.
- Work with HR and BDD to develop networks of proposal writers/editors and technical and management staff to propose in bids
- Identify, support and coordinate innovation grant proposals for FHI Foundation funding
- Supervise a program officer to assist proposal teams and technical teams in positioning Global Education for new business through communications and thought leadership
Within the Global Connections (GC) Department, support BDC efforts in close collaboration with the Department Director and key staff involved in proposal development and communications.
- Engage GC staff in broader Business Unit discussions focusing on business development and communications best practices
- Work with GC Director to develop approach to analyzing bid win/loss record and identifying appropriate improvement strategies
Direct the BDC team to strengthen the business development capacity and skills of all Global Learning staff by:
- Developing/refining processes and tools that incorporate business development best practices
- Analyzing performance gaps and identifying appropriate improvement strategies
- Providing proposal teams with ongoing capacity development (e.g., workshops) and coaching
- Improving systems to identify and assess proposed project staff, consultants and partners
- Build strong relationships with external and internal partners to increase win rates and to facilitate smooth and effective proposal development by:
- Building and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with external organizations, including donors/clients, host governments, potential partners and staff, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Coordinating with the corporate-level Business Development and Diversification team in gathering and disseminating market intelligence, partnering opportunities and internal processes and policies to Global Learning staff
- Building and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with Regional and Country Offices, other Business Units and departments, and other organizational partners
- Representing GL on relevant task forces, as needed, to inform business development decision-making
- Provide leadership and management direction to the BDC team by:
- Leading annual work planning activities, implementation and monitoring progress
- Ensuring team members have the resources, training and support necessary to achieve their objectives
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Director, Global Learning.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent • Education, Workforce Development, Youth Development and Engagement; Knowledge/Information Services; Communications; Social Marketing; Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences or Related Field.
- At least 10 years of experience in program management and business development in an international education environment
- At least 5 years of business development experience in increasingly senior level roles.
- Knowledge of USAID procurement procedures required, knowledge of other international development organizations highly desirable.
- Track record of winning proposals, preferably large USG bids.
- Demonstrated staff development and capacity building experience.
- Excellent writing and speaking English; intermediate or better skills in second language preferred.
- It is expected that position will entail about 20-30% international travel.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Communication and Public Information
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Communication and Public Information
- Operations and Administrations
- Education, Learning and Training
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-11-30