Programme Manager, African Digital Schools’ Initiative (ADSI)
Programme Manager Position
Job title:Programme Manager, African Digital Schools’ Initiative (ADSI)
Type:Fixed term contract, 5 years (2016-2020)
Deadline for applications: 6: 00 pm. Monday 9th November 2015
Start date:1st February 2016
GESCI, the Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative, is a non-profit organisation founded by the United Nations ICT Taskforce. GESCI, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, provides strategic advice and assistance to Governments in the socio-economic development of their countries through the widespread integration of technology forknowledge society development, especially in the education, skills training, leadership and community development domains. See: www.gesci.org.
The African Digital Schools Initiative (ADSI), funded by The MasterCard Foundation, is a 5-year initiative presenting a new methodology to transform secondary schools into digital schools of distinction. It is designed specifically to build secondary-level student 21st century skills and teachers’ innovative practice in a way that is responsive to the needs of the market place and to the emerging knowledge economies and societies. The ADSI model is a phased approach for digital whole school development in ICT use to incrementally move schools and teachers towards transformative educational practice and quality student learning outcomes. The blended learning model of school-based and online professional development is furthermore a cost-effective and sustainable model for educational transformation. The programme will be implemented in collaboration with the Ministries of Education and their associated agencies in Kenya, Tanzania and Cote d’Ivoire.
GESCI is seeking a dynamic, qualified and experienced Programme Manager well-versed in managing complex large –scale and multi-country programmes in the education and training field experience. S/he will lead, coordinate and manage a programme team consisting of country project managers and project coordinators based in three countries. S/he will work closely with key designated GESCI specialists, other experts and partners to design, develop and professionally project- manage the programme and its activities. S/he will be a pro-active leader, experienced and capable of project-managing the programme; who is capable of the early identification and communication of any issues effecting project non-performance or any potential problems and to propose solutions to resolve them in the context of a complex and challenging work environment that will require creativity and innovative approaches. The Programme Manager will report to the Director of Programmes.
o Work with the GESCI executive leadership and key staff to operationalise the GESCI vision of building secondary-level student 21st century skills and teachers’ innovative practice through digital whole school development
o Provide overall leadership, coordination and management to the programme team, partners and stakeholders
o Develop, implement and monitor financial and resource plans to ensure and to facilitate effective and efficient execution of programme activities
o Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with the Ministries of Education and their relevant agencies in the three countries, with other relevant partners, stakeholders and staff
o Together with GESCI specialists, international experts and country partners design and develop comprehensive plans and activities to operationalise and implement the digital whole school development using ICT as an enabler
o Develop and implement a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework and plans to continuously monitor programme implementation to inform adjustment and strategic decision-making.
Education and professional qualifications
· Master’s degree or higher in Project Management/ Organizational Management or MBA with Project Management focus , or
· Master’s degree or higher in Education/ICT/E-Learning with professional certificate and demonstrated experience in Project Management.
· A minimum of 5 years successful experience in project management of large-scale programmes/projects.
Skills and experience
· Excellent leadership, organizational and time- management skills and demonstrated ability to manage complex, large-scale projects and multi-cultural teams
· Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing processes, programme components, and external consultants
· Experience with project management tools, software and techniques
· Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement long term plans and strategies to enhance programme activities and ensure effective implementation
· Ability to work independently and to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating priorities
· Proven ability to collaborate with, oversee, direct and guide teams and to manage multiple partners and stakeholders
· Knowledge and experience of developing financial plans and managing budgets
· Ability to assess risk and anticipate, plan for and adapt to changing work environments
· Excellent analytical, prioritizing and problem-solving skills
· Attention to detail and the ability to ensure goals and objectives are met per the agreed programme deadlines
· Excellent oral, written and listening communication skills and ability to work in multi-cultural and diverse environment
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative.
· Proficient with Excel, Word, MS Project and other project management applications as required
· Excellent professional references (minimum of 3)
· Proficiency in English and French will be a distinct advantage.
Personal qualities and traits:
· Innovative and creative thinker
· High-grade interpersonal skills to ensure a consistently positive and productive team dynamic
· Must understand and be aware of other team members’ scope of responsibilities and be willing to mentor, guide and coach them as required
· Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an organization employing a multi-national staff, and whose programme sites and teams are geographically disbursed across 3 countries and 2 working language groups (English and French)
· Seeks to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions
· Must have the flexibility to deal rapidly with numerous and often simultaneous problems which require a wide range of complexity and priorities
Please submit your detailed CV, proof of credentials and names of referees along with a cover letter specifying why you qualify for this position to Patti Swarts, Director of Programmes, GESCI,to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by 9th November 2015.Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- Organization: GESCI - Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-11-09