Consultant in Admin and Org Capacity Building for Local NGO
Gaziantep | Ankara
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Assessments conducted in early 2015 have found that Syrian NGOs lack training and experience in basic humanitarian principles, international humanitarian law, and international human rights law, but are a highly educated and professional working class seeking opportunities to support their communities. As such, Syrian civil society organizations and local NGOs have requested of the INGOs and humanitarian system more broadly to provide capacity building in humanitarian principles and best practices.
In addition, newly established Syrian NGOs often times do not have all required organizational systems and procedures in place to ensure effective governance, management and alignment with legal requirements, which can seriously affect the quality and timeliness of performance and creates impediments for partnerships with international organizations and direct solicitation of funds from donor institutions.
As a part of its BMZ-funded grant, WV is seeking a consultant(s) to work with their local implementing partner to build up their basic organizational governance and administrative procedures.
The Consultant/s will assess the existing organizational status of the NGOs and help them develop the foundational organizational documents and policies (HR, Finance, Communication/PR, etc.) as required by Turkish legislation (country of headquarters).
The overarching objective of the consultancy is to improve administrative capacity of a local Syrian NGO registered in Turkey.
The expected outcomes are:
- Improved institutional capacities and management practices of a local Syrian NGO registered in Turkey
- The local Syrian NGO is able to operate independently, manage project and establish effective relations with the donors to ensure continuous operation of the organization
The methodology to complete the assignment includes, but not limited to:
- Desk research on NGO related legislation
- Review of organization systems, policies and procedures normally applied in Turkey, including meeting with relevant individuals / organisations with knowledge in expectations (i.e. OCHA)
- Interviews with the local Syrian NGOs and others needed for planning capacity building activities
- Trainings and workshops for the local Syrian NGOs on the organization systems, policies and procedures
- On-the-job support, via arranging/attending meetings for the NGO, sitting at their offices to lead and coordinate the development of required documentation
Responsibilities and Deliverables
The following documents are expected to be developed or in process by the end of the consultancy:
· Organizational charter
· Mission and Vision
· Procurement Policy
· Finance Manual
· HR Manual
· Administrative SOPs
· Other legal documentation, as defined in initial research
Timing and scope
The expected duration of services is one month, or 20 working days. Any expectations for an extension of the consultancy must be first approved by WV and will be discussed in consultation with the Consultant.
The consultant or consultancy company should be able to prove their expertise and experience for the proposed, including:
* At least 10 years of civil society sector and local NGOs, with at least 2 years working with NGOs based in Syria and Turkey
* Documented experience on organizational assessment and development of NGOs
* Proven expertise in building organizational capacity of organizations
* Preferred to have a degree in organizational capacity
The consultant/s will work in close collaboration with WVI - T Capacity Building Officer, relevant project staff and the organization that are being supported.
Interested persons should send their proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 November 2015, describing:
· Relevant experiences, including a CV
· Detail proposed work plan
· Quotation relevant for the objective
· Scope of the assignment
- Organization: World Vision
- Location: Gaziantep | Ankara
- Grade: Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Education and Training
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-11-05