Profile Project Control Officer
Project Control Officer Profile
For Mid (P3) and Senior (P4) Level Positions
The Protect Control Officer provides support to the operation by ensuring synchrony between financial and operational performance, and providing oversight of projects funded by UNHCR in complementary with programme management. The main tasks of the incumbent include the formulation of a project monitoring plan, quality assurance, review of project agreements, and verification of reports, tracking project risks, effective project closure and audit.
Project Control Officer plays a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interacts with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
Typical functions may include:
¿ Contribute to the development of the Country Operations Plans and strategy with respect to project control within the region.
¿ Ensure that project control strategies in the region are in line with Global Strategic Priorities, as well as with annual programming and planning instructions.
¿ Support the selection and retention processes of implementing partners in accordance with UNHCR¿s rules, policies and procedures.
¿ Review that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR¿s rules, policies and procedures.
¿ Formulate and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with the programme unit and MFT.
¿ Track the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
¿ Review, analyze and verify Project Financial and Performance submitted by Partner Reports, and check accuracy and consistency between financial and performance reports IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
¿ Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
¿ Conduct reviews of the internal control systems of implementing partners and provide advice as required.
¿ Provide feedback and recommendations of identified variants, risks and issues to the partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
¿ Prepare project control reports with the current status of programme implementation and financial status.
¿ Inform management of cases where UNHCR may not adhere to its obligations under project agreements.
¿ Manage the selection and engagement process of audit providers for projects, and the execution of the audits, including obtaining reports, reviewing outcomes and following-up with recommendations.
¿ Carry out timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
¿ Participate in country-level programme training for implementing partners and UNHCR staff as necessary, as well as brief staff and implementing partners on project control and risk management.
¿ Provide input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control and risk management.
¿ Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
¿ Undertake missions within the geographical area of responsibility.
¿ Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
Minimum qualifications and professional experience required:
For positions at the P3 level
- Education: (Advanced) University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration in Finance, Project Management, External Audit or related field, Risk Management OR university degree in similar field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CA, DESG or equivalent), project management accreditation.
- Good understanding of the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle).
- Job experience: Minimum of 6 years of relevant (international) job experience with a Master¿s Degree or 8 years with a Bachelor¿s Degree and at least 2 years in an inter-governmental organization.
- Languages: Excellent knowledge of English (C1 minimum) and working knowledge of another UN language (at B2 Level).
For positions at the P4 level
- Education: (Advanced) University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration in Finance, External Audit or related field OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CA or equivalent), project management accreditation.
- Job experience: Minimum of 10 years of relevant (international) job experience with a Master¿s Degree or 12 years with a Bachelor¿s Degree.
- Languages: Excellent knowledge of English (Minimum C1) and working knowledge of another UN language (at B2 level minimum).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: L-5, International Limited
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-03-31