Senior Program Budget Officer (Resource Management)
Senior Programme Budget Officer (Resource Management)
The Senior Programme Budget Officer (Resource Management) reports to the Deputy Head of Service (Resource Management). The incumbent will liaise with Bureaux (e.g. Desks and Senior Resource Managers, Representatives, programme and finance staff in the field) or Divisions in HQs on resource management issues. Regular and frequent discussions between the incumbent, the other Senior Programme Budget Officers and the supervisor are necessary to ensure that the latest policy and parameters are shared and used consistently among the Senior Programme Budget Officers in the Unit.
The overall objective of the Senior Programme Budget Officer is to support the Budget Committee and other resource allocation processes in the management and decision making processes on budgetary subjects for their assigned Bureaux, Offices or Divisions and give support to the latter in managing their budget by providing quality and timely financial information/analysis and advice in an effort to use UNCHR's financial resources in the best possible manner considering operational needs and availability of resources.
- Support is provided to the Annual Programme Review, Mid-year review and Budget Committee by means of accurate and timely information and analysis on budget management pursuing optimal use of the financial resources of the Organization.
- Regional Bureaux, Field Offices, Divisions and Executive Management are supported on subjects related to budget management.
- Resource Allocation Framework rules, procedures and budgetary parameters are applied consistently.
- Field or HQs annual programme budget submissions or ad-hoc submissions are analysed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Authorizing officers' or bodies' decisions on resource allocation are accurately recorded.
- Timely and meaningful reports and instructions are provided to Bureau/Divisions indicating issues of concern and corrective measures required; and implementation of relevant instructions are monitored in a timely manner.
- Continuous procedural and systems support is provided on budgeting and planning matters to Regional Bureaux, Field Offices, and Divisions.
- Review and prepare analysis of programme budget submission including income projections and restrictions, budget and expenditure variance and trend, staffing structures and consistency with corporate priorities to support the Annual Programme Review process or the Budget Committee decision making process.
- Provide advice on financial matters, specifically regarding budget management, to assigned Offices, Regional Bureaux or HQ Divisions in order to support the financial management of the Organization.
- Facilitate the analysis of programme budget submissions and tracking of opportunities for reallocation of resources both within and between regions/units.
- Record and disseminate Budget Committee decisions and ensure timely and accurate processing in UNCHR's financial systems.
- Review requests for transfers between appropriations and for transfers from the Operational Reserve from authorized officers, ensuring that the Resource Allocation Framework rules, procedures and budgetary parameters are adhered to.
- Undertake, throughout the entire budget cycle, financial monitoring and analysis of all aspects of an operation as well as analysis of progress towards objectives, ensuring consistency with approved budget, strategy and organizational guidelines and proposing corrective action if necessary.
- Provide advice, services and support on procedure and system, to the Directors of Bureaux and Divisions and Representatives in the exercise of their responsibilities for the allocation and reallocation of resources.
- Review draft Appeals and liaise with Bureaux/Divisions and DRRM to ensure that they are in line with approved budgets.
- Contribute in all aspects of the correct and efficient functioning of the Resource Management Unit by ensuring compliance with all established procedures, and proactively suggesting and looking for improvements in work procedures.
- Assist the data quality processes undertaken by PBS to ensure accurate an meaningful reporting.
- Contribute with analysis, documentation, or any other relevant input the preparation of notes and answer to audit processes.
- Any other responsibilities deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head /Deputy Head of the Service in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
- Prepare and certify, with high standards of quality, documentation content for further review and approval within the Service.
- Decide on support and advice issues on routine matters which require action from the Programme Budget Service.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum of 12 years relevant job experience in resource allocation and budgeting, programme and project management in an international environment, preferably within the UN system. Of 12 years required experience, at least 5 years should be in international capacity directly relevant to the current position that should include exposure to field operations.
- Exposure to provision of support services in an international organisation, preferably within the UN system.
- Proven experience and capacity to analyse complex budget and financial scenarios.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of MS Office software and ERPs.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written, oral, comprehension); highly developed drafting skills in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute.
- Exposure to humanitarian field operations.
- Exposure to a corporate planning and budgeting software related to a major ERP system.
- Working knowledge of French.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.1 to the September 2015 Compendium is Tuesday 17 November 2015 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-11-17