Public Health Officer
Public Health Officer
Direct supervision and guidance is received from Head of Sub-Office. Close functional linkages and technical guidance will be established with the Senior Regional Public Health Officer and the Public Health Section in Geneva.
In order to ensure wider reach out to the refugee and ensure their close involvement in the delivery and management of health services, the incumbent will need to establish an appropriate consultative and monitoring framework which would draw the experience and expertise of a wide range of actors both internally and externally.
The incumbent of the position will oversee and supervise the Public Health programmes in the area of responsibility (AOR), and provide strong technical guidance to partners, monitor and evaluate the programme and ensure and lead monthly health coordination meetings. The incumbent will demonstrate strong representational, networking and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders such as the Government counterparts, UN Agencies and Embassies.
- Support the prioritization of the Primary Health Care strategy focusing on preventive and basic curative health, including mental health, reproductive health, HIV and nutritional components.
- Support in the programming exercise to draw proposals and budgets related to public health, HIV, and nutrition
- There is a viable standard Health Information System in place for data collection, analysis and interpretation to serve as evidence base for planning and interventions.
- Monthly health coordination meetings are conducted with all relevant partners.
- Support the Ministry of Health with the coordination and response to refugee health care.
- Provide technical assistance to UNHCR sub/field offices and implementing partners in development, integration and mainstreaming of appropriate and cost-effective public health programmes.
- Work in a multi-sectoral and co-ordinated approach in co-operation with governments, UN agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other humanitarian partners.
- Work closely with UNHCR programme, field and protection staff to identify priority health issues and key data requirements for programme planning and monitoring to ensure that minimum UNHCR and international standards are being met.
- Promote basic health education for populations of concern and train refugee health workers (e.g. community health workers, peer educators, counselors, etc.).
- Work towards strenghtening local structures and capacities; ensure strong linkages among health, nutrition, food security and HIV with protection and human rigths.
- Improve coordination among partners and participate in capacity building efforts.
- Use community-based approaches, including clear involvement of refugees in the public health and nutritional programmes.
- Work with others in UNHCR to advocate for access to refugees, returnees and other persons of concern to local health, reproductive health (RH) and HIV/AIDS services and lobby for inclusion of refugees, returnees and other persons of concern as a specific group in government policies related to health, RH and HIV.
- Promote information sharing on all aspects related to refugee health and HIV/AIDS.
- Ensure regular update and share information within UNHCR as well as with relevant government, UN and NGO counterparts and donor communities.
- Provide guidance on the overall strategy and focus of public health programmes in the operation.
- Make recommendations to Senior Management on nutrition issues concerning persons of concern.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A clinical background (nurse or MD) with postgraduate training in Public Health.
- Minimum 8 years (6 years with Advanced University degree or for MD) of previous job experience relevant to the function and in national/multinational organizations.
- Knowledge of public health, nutrition and HIV in humanitarian emergencies.
- Very good communication and computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of the English and French language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience, advance training, balance and combined knowledge in health-related subjects: e.g. public health, reproductive health, etc.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.1 to the September 2015 Compendium is Tuesday 17 November 2015 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Maroua (Cameroon)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2015-11-17